News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

8th August

Started by Neil Mcnab, July 19, 2015, 02:03:43

Previous topic - Next topic

goat

i ignore most of those stats, fernando..the shit one..had about 90 odd % but that counts 3 yard passes and sideways shit

nimrod

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on July 20, 2015, 14:30:35
Quote from: goat on July 20, 2015, 14:17:48

can we offer much other than money for these world class players?

Which indeed is the point.

You don't become a big draw, glamour club overnight - or even five seasons. Especially not when you (re)start from the relatively low base we did. We're getting there, but it will take a few more Premierships and a couple of decent runs at the Champions League before big name players start falling over themselves to play for us irrespective of the money we offer.

At the moment all we have to offer (for the most part) is money. This is why we pay through the nose (it has little to do with the actual worth of the player), and this is why the prospect of playing for us doesn't immediately quicken the pulse of every star footballer doing the rounds. Yet some of you seem to think we are already Barcelona and judge every thing we do, every signing we make - on that false premise. It will happen - but we're not there yet.

I can see this obviously and you've been saying it for a few seasons now, but I still think we didnt need to pay 49 million for RS, nobody else was in for him it seems and he practically went on strike AND he already lives in the north of England (so he wasnt swapping sunshine or bright lights of a Rome or Madrid) he's used to ice and freezing his balls off.
I can also see the point that the sheik is made of money so to him its like buying a loaf.........my point is it makes us look like spoilt brats and gives ammo to the ........well. everybody who doesnt support us, just because you can pay well over the odds doesnt mean you should, we shouldve played hardball, 35 mill take it or leave it, we always seem to make ourselves look dim.............if he turns out to be another Tranny, I'll eat my words. I guess time will tell........maybe he will be better with better players.

In the words of the great administrator Brendo, 'not a moan, an opinion'

Swiss

You're right. We could have let it drag on all summer with the hope lfc accept a lower offer and get a player with no pre-season under him and who hasn't trained with the squad. Or risk it falling apart and not signing him at all, us panicking and signing downing.... ha ha!

Lekos

Quote from: nimrod on July 21, 2015, 00:14:16

You don't become a big draw, glamour club overnight - or even five seasons. Especially not when you (re)start from the relatively low base we did. We're getting there, but it will take a few more Premierships and a couple of decent runs at the Champions League before big name players start falling over themselves to play for us irrespective of the money we offer.

At the moment all we have to offer (for the most part) is money. This is why we pay through the nose (it has little to do with the actual worth of the player), and this is why the prospect of playing for us doesn't immediately quicken the pulse of every star footballer doing the rounds. Yet some of you seem to think we are already Barcelona and judge every thing we do, every signing we make - on that false premise. It will happen - but we're not there yet.

I can see this obviously and you've been saying it for a few seasons now, but I still think we didnt need to pay 49 million for RS, nobody else was in for him it seems and he practically went on strike AND he already lives in the north of England (so he wasnt swapping sunshine or bright lights of a Rome or Madrid) he's used to ice and freezing his balls off.
I can also see the point that the sheik is made of money so to him its like buying a loaf.........my point is it makes us look like spoilt brats and gives ammo to the ........well. everybody who doesnt support us, just because you can pay well over the odds doesnt mean you should, we shouldve played hardball, 35 mill take it or leave it, we always seem to make ourselves look dim.............if he turns out to be another Tranny, I'll eat my words. I guess time will tell........maybe he will be better with better players.

If it makes you feel any better, the Dippers did only get 35m of the fee...and then spent 32.5m of that on Benteke!    :D :faint:

nimrod

Quote from: Lekos on July 21, 2015, 08:09:13
Quote from: nimrod on July 21, 2015, 00:14:16

If it makes you feel any better, the Dippers did only get 35m of the fee...and then spent 32.5m of that on Benteke!    :D :faint:

yeah it does, another Andy Carroll ffs

Neil Mcnab

"we shouldve played hardball, 35 mill take it or leave it"

Completely agree with this. Was anyone else going to buy him, or if they were, for more than that.

Ludo

Liverpool didn't need to sell.

We needed pacey, young, British talent.

We're loaded.

We bought him.

Rowley Birkin QC

If the price had been stick at 35 million I suspect there would have been a couple of late comers trying to hi-jack the deal.

But whatever... I don't really understand why the size of the fee bothers some people so much. If people think we shouldn't have bought Sterling because they think he's no good, then that's a fair enough opinion - but worrying about the odd 10 million here or there is fairly irrelevant for City. I think Ludo's last post sums the whole thing up succinctly.

goat

price annoyed me because im tight...even with other peoples money

read somewhere our arab lad makes 115k a minute , i doubt he will be that arsed

nimrod

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on July 21, 2015, 23:34:29
If the price had been stick at 35 million I suspect there would have been a couple of late comers trying to hi-jack the deal.

But whatever... I don't really understand why the size of the fee bothers some people so much. If people think we shouldn't have bought Sterling because they think he's no good, then that's a fair enough opinion - but worrying about the odd 10 million here or there is fairly irrelevant for City. I think Ludo's last post sums the whole thing up succinctly.

just dont like being taken for a ride every time we buy someone

I used to negotiate contracts in my job and Im used to achieving the best deal, so its part of my dna, the way I was trained in the art of negotiation.
City being a company hugely in the public eye, it is important that they are perceived to be clever in their dealings, both for future deals and so as not to give ammunition to journalists/media. Every time he got the ball last night they (the commentators) were already calling him the $107 million man.
If someone else had entered the race for RS at 35 mill then we have a case for upping the ante, but as far as we know we were the only potential buyers.
I see the 'paying 10 million over the odds' as something that DOES matter, it will/could have a significant effect on future deals, and has an effect on our profit margin.

Its just an opinion though.

Rowley Birkin QC

I take your point (and it's a good one) regarding how City are perceived in terms of future deals, but I don"t think it will remain this way, as our success and profile increases. The rags spending ludicrous amounts of money (for the time) on Ferdinand and Rooney didn't do them much harm.