News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Poor Pre-season

Started by gavin, July 24, 2015, 21:50:54

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Of course we shouldn't get carried away by a bit of a mauling by Madrid with a makeshift, junior centre half partnership but it just doesn't seem like we are going to get any decent preparation at all this pre-season. Considering that defence was our problem last season it is particularly concerning that there is no sign of our first choice back four or close to it getting serious game time together.

Swiss

Not ideal... but two games left and Roma and REal are top opposition to play against

Rowley Birkin QC

Kompany allowed to return home for the birth of his child. Demi and Zabba allowed an extended break because of the Copa America (along with our best striker). I don't know. Should we have told them no - get your arses over here?

A tricky situation. In my opinion the off-season is way too short (and now very rushed). Doesn't seem to bother Real Madrid though. They looked ready to go.

nimrod

Bit puzzled why we played a 16 year in instead of Managala

but the game showed we still have a way to go in Europe to get to their level

our pen wasnt a pen and they had a goal unfairly disallowed so couldve easily been 5 - 0

worryingly we seem to be ignoring our defensive frailties in this window though

clevblue

Especially as pellegrini himself was a defender

bluebrendan

Quote from: nimrod on July 25, 2015, 01:21:52

our pen wasnt a pen and they had a goal unfairly disallowed so couldve easily been 5 - 0

Apparently Mangala was ill, hence why he wasn't named as a sub. Humphries and Denayer did ok considering what they were up against and they should learn quite a bit from the experience.

Swiss

Quote from: nimrod on July 25, 2015, 01:21:52

Harsh considering that was far from our best team and that was close to theirs!
But yes, we should be playing our best team available!

That pen wasn't, but we should have had one earlier when the keeper took out Yaya
And we should have had one against Roma

Agreed, though I think Delph went some way to address the midfield bite... Can't predict injuries!

However, we still have 38days 6hours and 43 mins until the transfer window closes!
http://www.epfl-europeanleagues.com/leagues_transfer_window.htm

Linked with these defensive players:
Otamendi: Age 27
Ramos : Age 29
Fabinho: Age 21
Alex Sandro (can't go a window without buying a Porto player...) at Left back. He actually looks quite decent though. Age 24

That is a whole new back line there...

Ludo

I'm still somewhat bemused by people who think it was our defence that was the problem last season.

In 2013/14 we won the league conceding 37 goals and scoring 102.

In 2014/15 we conceded 38 but only scored 83 goals.

Perhaps more goals, especially from midfield, is our problem

bluebrendan

Quote from: Ludo on July 25, 2015, 11:32:25
I'm still somewhat bemused by people who think it was our defence that was the problem last season.

In 2013/14 we won the league conceding 37 goals and scoring 102.

In 2014/15 we conceded 38 but only scored 83 goals.

Perhaps more goals, especially from midfield, is our problem
And in 2011/12 we scored 93 goals and conceded 29, for me it's that extra 8 or 9 goals conceded that's the main problem. If you take 37/38 goals conceded as the benchmark it suggests we need to score 100+ goals to win the league which is unrealistic year in year out.

We conceded too many sloppy goals in both those seasons that cost us points, down to poor defending as a team, not just the back four.

Swiss

For me it was the amount of times the midfield went missing and exposed the defence.

Rowley Birkin QC

I agree with Swiss.

Meanwhile...

Widely being reported that Aguero, Zabaleta, Demichelis and Fernandinho will not be ready for the start of the season!!!!!! because of their Copa America duties. This is getting fecking ridiculous now  >:(

Swiss

Indeed, but they do need their rest. All international comps should be in sync

bluebrendan

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on July 25, 2015, 14:14:06
I agree with Swiss.

Meanwhile...

Widely being reported that Aguero, Zabaleta, Demichelis and Fernandinho will not be ready for the start of the season!!!!!! because of their Copa America duties. This is getting fecking ridiculous now  >:(
It's not helping that we're also starting the PL season a week early to help Hodgson make a better fist of going out at the group stage in Euro 2016.

KunDB

I think pre-season does not matter that much. Better players get proper rest than play in a few meaningless games, they will be fit enough.

gavin

They should be fit as professional athletes but our defence needs some sorting. It isn;t going to happen with them neither training or playing together.

Lekos

"pre season training does not matter"

Wow.

Swiss

I'm guessing he meant results...

Lekos

Don't think so fella. He's citopesting it.

gavin

I have to say that I'm a bit concerned by our pre-season. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we got off to a poor start in the league.

Swiss

Or it might kick start the team into action!

bluepill

Gave up after the first half abomination.

You could drive a bus through our midfield.

Swiss

missing Yaya, Fernando, Fernandinho & Delph.

Garcia should have started given how he's played

Rowley Birkin QC

In 'Typical City' days I rarely took much notice of pre-season form, as (inevitably) after a good pre-season when we won everything, we invariably collapsed and found ourselves in a relegation scrap by the end - and when we had a poor pre-season it often signalled we were going to be OK!

Not so much these days, but I too am a little concerned about our preparation here. Aside from Sterling and maybe Delph, no significant strengthening of the squad and important deals (we hope) still yet to be done - but very late and the season already about to get under way. Copa America hasn't helped things either.

Must admit I'm a bit gloomy about City as everything currently stands (although that might have something to do with my general demeanour at the moment)

nimrod

Quote from: gavin on August 01, 2015, 18:59:52
I have to say that I'm a bit concerned by our pre-season. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we got off to a poor start in the league.

wouldnt mind him sorting out the defence before the season starts

or it'll be chavski again

Stephen Paul

Swiss

Maybe Pellers is sending a message to the board... Get me some players!

Still need to sack off Sagna and Clichy

Mangala should be sent out on loan and we get in a 25-30 year old defender.

+ 1 midfield general & De Bruyne and then Bobs your uncle, we're sorted.