News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

TV series

Started by nimrod, July 27, 2015, 08:16:30

Previous topic - Next topic

clevblue

I hope they do more Saul

I never fancied "criminal minds" but started season 1 a couple of weeks ago, now we are well into season 2 and it is really good! I'm surprised, but it is

nimrod

I erm 'acquired' the complete series of  The Soprano's and Ive been binging on it, now half way through S3, Tony is brilliant, perfect casting (as is Junior)

Definitely recommend

Question;
Why is it legal to record free to air TV on a VCR or HD recorder but illegal to download a show that has been on free to air TV ?

Ludo

It took me a while to get round to the Sopranos as well, but if I'd known it was so tongue in cheek and funny I'd have watched it years ago.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: nimrod on June 06, 2016, 23:41:33
Question;
Why is it legal to record free to air TV on a VCR or HD recorder but illegal to download a show that has been on free to air TV ?

Because when you watch (and record it) from a TV transmission the creators of the show have been paid for their creation (by the TV company, its advertisers etc) "Free to Air" TV might be free to you, but the programmes they show have been paid for.

If you illegally down load it the programme creators don't get a cent.

nimrod

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on June 07, 2016, 00:12:47
Because when you watch (and record it) from a TV transmission the creators of the show have been paid for their creation (by the TV company, its advertisers etc) "Free to Air" TV might be free to you, but the programmes they show have been paid for.

If you illegally down load it the programme creators don't get a cent.

Thanks M'lud, I get what youre saying

but if its been on free to air already the creators have been paid for it and cant reasonably expect any further money after its been thrown out into the public domain

I mean I could record it and give it to somebody who didnt watch it when it was broadcast, so would they be watching it illegally, seeing as theyre not paying for it ?

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: nimrod on June 07, 2016, 00:22:38
but if its been on free to air already the creators have been paid for it and cant reasonably expect any further money after its been thrown out into the public domain

Well that's the point - they do expect further money. These shows are expensive to make.

Quote from: nimrod on June 07, 2016, 00:22:38
I mean I could record it and give it to somebody who didnt watch it when it was broadcast, so would they be watching it illegally, seeing as theyre not paying for it ?

I'm no expert on copyright law, but my understanding is that would be illegal.

You home record - for home use. You can show your friend the recording in your house - that's OK - but you can't give him a copy to take away!  There are also limits (I think) on how many people you could show the recording to at any one time in your house before the event would becoming legally defined as a "Public Performance" - at which point you'd be breaking the law again!

Always been a grey area this one. In the UK back in the 50's and 60's you were supposed to pay for a licence before you could home record anything off the radio. I can remember my dad - always conscientious - had one, for his large classical music library of reel-to-reel tapes he recorded off Radio 3. But when cassette recorders came along everyone could easily record everything and the UK government eventually gave up the licence as unenforceable and unworkable. 

nimrod

Yes a grey area

Like Uber taxi's

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Sopranos is awesome. His mams a dick though. Especially when they computerised her head.

goat

telly is shite

didnt mind the last dave gorman series tho, peep show  was alright