News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

The 'how does shit work' thread..

Started by nimrod, September 23, 2015, 01:07:38

Previous topic - Next topic

nimrod

OK here s a question

we hear things by the movement of sound waves, so if someone claps their hands it creates sound waves that travel to our ears, our ears act like small microphones and we hear the sound in our brain.

my question is, how do these sound waves travel through a door or a wall ?

goat

keyhole obviously

and a wall if you left the door open

Ludo

Swiss

Riding the waves baby!  8)

Solid objects aren't always solid...

I'm feeling like good vibrations!

Ludo

nimrod

Quote from: Ludo on September 23, 2015, 21:43:06
Is that serious question nimrod?

I try not to be serious about anything these days ludo mate, except when it comes to paying rates & tax

Ludo

Lol.

Thought as much, it was too stupid to be serious.

nimrod

Quote from: Ludo on September 23, 2015, 23:30:24
Lol.

maybe stupid to a clever chap like you ludo but Im pretty thick so I had to google it, I mean light waves cant get through a wall so why can sound ?

Stephen Paul

Ludo

Ok. Perhaps it's not such a stupid question. It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

Light is made up of little packages of energy called photons which actually move along the length of the light wave and as such are more easily reflected by solid objects. That's why we can see things, as the light hits an object some of it's energy is reflected into our eyes giving us colour.

A sound wave is basically a vibration, a sound 'particle' doesn't travel along a wave. A bit like flicking the end of a rope and watching the waves pass along it. This allows more sound the 'vibrate' it's way though more solid objects.

nimrod

Swiss

If one was built large enough, could an aircraft take off on a treadmil?

Lekos

Dizzy

Quote from: Ludo on September 23, 2015, 23:30:24
Lol.

Why is asking a question stupid? 

nimrod