News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Defend our Defence (if you can?)

Started by KunDB, December 09, 2015, 20:51:18

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

Can anyone on here put up a defence for our defence?

Last night was a typical example of it, tragedy in the first half, better the second half.

It is my opinion it is an absolute shambles in general, our Achilles Heel. It is the reason we will continue to be inconsistent in the league, between games and during games, and will labour to win it. Teams now know attack and pressurise our high line defence and soon it will crumble and collapse or melt away like snow.

How, after so much time, can Manuel Pellegrini, a defender - the 'engineer', have failed so spectacularly to sort it out.

As for Demechellis he has served us well, at different times, so let him follow his dreams in January. Maybe knowing he can go will bring the best out of him for the remainder of his time with City.

Despite the mega bucks spent our defence needs a serious shake up.

jingoe

John Stones anyone? In January perhaps?

Swiss

Well he's better than Demi and Mangala at this stage of his career, but Kompany and Otamendi should be no.1. I'd take a punt on Shaw cross though. At least you know what you're getting with him.

bluebrendan

I think it's only partly down to the players, Pellegrini likes the high defensive line but continues to play it even when the defenders at his disposal don't really suit the tactic. Demichelis is the stand-out square peg in a round hole, he has little pace which is pretty much a necessity for a high defensive line, Mangala has the pace but lacks composure on the ball, another useful ability for a high line. The full backs play so far forward it's hardly fair to include them in the discussion. The other problem is the defensive midfielders, IMO we only have one true DM and he isn't very good (Fernando). Fernandinho, Delph and Toure are all instinctively box to box players and so they often roam forward into the attacking third rather than doing their job and covering for the attacking full backs, this leaves the CBs more exposed. When we had De Jong and Barry as the DMs this was rarely a problem as they were natural DMs and stuck to their positions.

Rowley Birkin QC

Brendan on the right track I think.

gavin

When we won the league in Pelle's first season Demi was being widely ridiculed early in the season. We only started to turn it around at the back when Vinny got sent off in a match, at Hull I think. Then onwards Demi seemed to martial the defence into some order and we were using a high line then I think. At the moment, in Vinny's absence, there seems to be no leader or organisation. I certainly don't think that Pelle has got to grips with the defence at all, ever. Even when it came together at the end of the title season it seemed to hinge on what happened during that Hull match on the field rather than from the design of the manager.

Neil Mcnab

I have also thought Shawcross might be worth a punt. No doubt Hughesless would try to screw every penny out of us. But, what of Jason Denayer? Not seen him play much, Shawcross signing would be a block on his progress.

KunDB

I wonder if we will look to buy a central defender during the January transfer window now it has become clear Mangala just cannot produce the goods at this levell. Not a fan of buying January but perhaps we could pick someone up, I am sure the club must have a list of transfer targets for each position.

Sell Mangala now.

nimrod

Quote from: Zabba on December 22, 2015, 23:22:23
I wonder if we will look to buy a central defender during the January transfer window now it has become clear Mangala just cannot produce the goods at this levell. Not a fan of buying January but perhaps we could pick someone up, I am sure the club must have a list of transfer targets for each position.

Sell Mangala now.

who would buy him ?

Yes either get Denayer back or buy somebody solid with prem experience, yes maybe Shawcross

The way it is Id rather have Dunnie & Lescott back  :(

Swiss

According to Transfermarkt, Denayers loan finishes in the summer.

Which leaves Demi to go back to Argie in January

And one to bring in...

According to Physioroom.com, Kompany and Zabba are back in 3 days: Boxingday fixture is prob too soon, however we should start to see a more solid City if we can keep those two fit for the remaining part of the year. Given we're still in touching distance, that's a major boost for us knowing we'll have our two most celebrated defenders (Or the current era) back in defence.

Aguero and Silva are gaining match fitness.

Looking up for the second half of the season.

It's a marathon not a sprint.