News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

The Etihad

Started by Gareth, March 15, 2017, 16:01:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

I see Manchester wants to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Does the Council still own the stadium? Think they'll be asking for it back? I can't really see them building another one...

gavin

There's no running track!!! It could only possibly be used for field sports. City re-negotiated the lease a few years ago when they renamed it and of course then extended it. No idea what the councils plans are but they can't involve the Etihad as the main stadium. Maybe they are looking at expanding mini COMS which I don't think gets used much now none of City's teams play there.

Gareth

Yeah... I think mini-COMS is the only athletics stadium around, but it's hardly "major games" level without a lot of work. And then there'd be another big stadium right next to the Etihad, be like Tannadice street in Dundee. Doesn't figure at all.
Perhaps they've got B of the Bang in storage and they want an excuse to put it back up!

gavin

I doubt the could justify a permanent major stadium as they couldn't for the original games. An athletics stadium is a white elephant. It is a curious proposal.