News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Starting 11's

Started by Hesperus, August 16, 2017, 15:43:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

So, given the large number of midfielders and forwards we have. What do people think is out best formation? I can't figure it out. It's like trying to get a pint into a half pint pot!

From preseason and Brighton it looks like Pep wants to play Sergio and Jesus. Pep said many times our lack of goals last season is what cost us and not the defence. So I can see why he wants to have both forwards playing, however, how do we then fit in the likes of the Silvas, Kev, Gundog, Ya Ya, Fernandinho, Sterling and Sane into the starting 11? It got me thinking….

I know there will be a lot of rotation this season but what will our starting 11 look like?

Assuming Sergio and Jesus always start together:

3-5-2

3 at the back means we need wing backs in Walker and Danilo/Mendy. That leaves little room for Sane and Sterling. Sane played wing back vs Girona, but I didn't think he looked comfortable there so I doubt he'd be used there. So we’d be looking at 3 CB’s, 2 wing backs, 3 I'm midfield, Silva, Kev and maybe a defensive mid?

4-4-2

2 CB, 2 FB. 4 in midfield - Silva, Kev, Sane and Sterling. Very attacking and I can only see that working if we invert the fullbacks like he tried last season.

4-3-3

2 CB, 2 FB. 3 in midfield - Silva, Kev, Fernandinho with Sane up front with Jesus and Sergio.

4-3-3 invert the fullbacks

2 CB, 2 FB. 3 in midfield - Silva, Kev, Silva with Sane up front with Jesus and Sergio.

I think our formations this season will be fascinating. It’ll be interesting to see what Peps preferred formation is.

My favourite is 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with inverted the wing backs. When we are attacking those formations would be quite scary, but I think we may see 3-5-2 a bit this season.

Anybody got any other formations or teams they'd like to share?

goat

4-3-2-1

ed

walker kompany stones  dan/mendy

fernandinho

toure gundo

silva d  de bruyne

aguero

Hesperus

No Sterling or Sane? That team looks solid, but enough goals in it for Pep?

goat

i can take or leave sterling, sane is obviously quality but we cant fit everyone in

its pretty much  what milan used under ancelotti way back when... rivaldo, rui costa and shevchenko up top

there should be goals, silva and de bruyne in free roles would create enough chances  to make lee bradbury a 10 goal a season striker. the only downer i can think of is the holding midfielder, milan had gattuso to win it and give it to pirlo.... weve not had one of them since de jong

Gareth

As a formation, you could have R. Carlos/Cafu-era Brazil.

You have a spine of:

GK
2xCB
2xDM
2xAM
2xFWD

then the 2xWB are supposed to be up-and-down wherever they are required.
I call it 2-2-2-2(+2).

goat

isnt that the 1982 box thing they used?

probably best team never to win world cup

cant wait for brenda to show off his 1932 effort with 8 up front

nimrod

I dont see a best formation

change it every week/game to suit the opposition

gavin

I think we will vary formation quite a bit but mainly play 3-5-2. I'm also pretty much with Pep about the selection. I reckon Mendy will provide much better balance at left wing back though.

Ederson

Vinny
Stones
Ota

Walker
Silva
Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Mendy

Sanchez
Jesus

Though whether it 3-5-2 is very questionable really. It is very fluid.

Sergio must do a lot better with his goals to chances ratio. We probably need Sanchez to replace him.

Neil Mcnab

I like the question Hesperus. Hopefully suited to us to face the changing opposition. The mantra is play your best formation, not best players. But for me, these must be in most teams we put out:-

VK, Mendy, Walker, Gundog, Fern, Sane, De Bruyne, D Silva, Aguero, Jesus,

There is little room left, of course Ederson is there, somewhere. Outside of DM and defenders, we have a lot of competition. B Silva and Sterling could muscle those players out. If Sanchez came in, we would need to sell.
Toure wouldnt make most teams for me, unless its for cutting a cake or something, slowly.

Hesperus

I think your right on the best players there Neil, maybe I'd swap B Silva for Gundog. I think B Sliva could be a really special player for us. It's a nice problem to have though!

Hesperus

Two games in and 3-5-2 in each. I'm not a fan of it so far but I guess it needs time to settle.

My biggest issue with it is that it rules out attacking players like Sane and Sterling, if both Walker and Mendy are fit.

gavin

Quote from: gavin on August 17, 2017, 20:34:37
Sergio must do a lot better with his goals to chances ratio. We probably need Sanchez to replace him.

Sergio must do a lot better with his goals to chances ratio. We probably definitely need Sanchez to replace him.

Swiss

Quote from: Hesperus on August 22, 2017, 08:56:06
Two games in and 3-5-2 in each. I'm not a fan of it so far but I guess it needs time to settle.

My biggest issue with it is that it rules out attacking players like Sane and Sterling, if both Walker and Mendy are fit.

Brighton

14 shots & 75% possession

Everton

19 shots & 65% possession

Hesperus

Brighton scored 2
Everton scored 1

Swiss

So it could be the quality of finishing...

goat

are we really getting people moaning about agueros finishing  now?

Hesperus

Quote from: Swiss on August 25, 2017, 21:54:48
So it could be the quality of finishing...

Could also be the fact we'd convert more chances with an extra attacking player on the pitch rather than and an extra defender?

gavin

Quote from: goat on August 26, 2017, 04:00:10
are we really getting people moaning about agueros finishing  now?

Yes, it wasn't good enough last season and has started same this.

goat

gavin

His rate was nowhere near that of the top strikers last season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40699431

QuoteAll the leading players, except Manchester City's Sergio Aguero, scored more than the stats suggested they should have, underlining their status as expert finishers, even when in difficult positions.