News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Defence

Started by KunDB, April 07, 2018, 10:36:12

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

One lesson we learnt, among many, from the humiliation the other night was our defence is sub-standard, Otamendi, Kompany, Walker, Laporte all went missing when a big performance was needed. First time this season that they came under real pressure in a key game and all the old failings flowed back in a torrent.

This needs fixing, as does our approach to key European away games, but I fear under Pep it will not be fixed,

DeBruyne was, surprisingly to me, not up to the physical battle as most other City players were not, but defence was calamitous.

gavin

I don't think that was the first time they came under pressure in a key game. It has happened a few times and generally they have done well. However, they did also collapse at Anfield in the league.

Pep's philosophy in the main is to defend by not letting the opposition have the ball and it has worked well over the season. We've improved considerably this season but clearly there's still a way to go against teams that can break quickly and effectively.

However, even the best sides lose occasionally and can concede a few goals. Let's not have unrealistic expectations that we should win every single game comfortably.

This season we have won more games than any set of fans can reasonably expect. It is incredibly disappointing to collapse twice at Anfield in quite short order. But no way would I swap our season with Liverpool's. We're almost nailed on to win the league and they're still a long way from winning the Chumps.

nimrod

Quote from: KunDB on April 07, 2018, 10:36:12
One lesson we learnt, among many, from the humiliation the other night was our defence is sub-standard, Otamendi, Kompany, Walker, Laporte all went missing when a big performance was needed. First time this season that they came under real pressure in a key game and all the old failings flowed back in a torrent.

This needs fixing, as does our approach to key European away games, but I fear under Pep it will not be fixed,

DeBruyne was, surprisingly to me, not up to the physical battle as most other City players were not, but defence was calamitous.

Been thinking this for a while now, we have a 230 mill defense plus Mendy, but Im not convinced with it against top class opposition.

Neil Mcnab

Laporte gave Salah the freedom of Anfield. We expect Dinho to be everywhere plugging the gaps, but he is 32. The whole team were well below what we have come to expect.

Its only five minutes ago Liverpools back line were under the microscope. The way both teams play leave them open to quality opposition.

Pep said he wasnt running scared before the game. Then he brings in Gundog, who on the day was anonymous and pushed Kev out more to the wing. Both moves back fired badly.

With Mendy back, we have an excellent back line, excepting Otamandi.

Paddy

Pressure was put on the defence by leaving Sterling off the starting sheet

gavin

It was paper thin today again. Good job we've such a lead because holes are appearing everywhere.

KunDB

Quote from: Paddy on April 07, 2018, 17:28:31
Pressure was put on the defence by leaving Sterling off the starting sheet

That was a badly timed comment.