News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Serial Underperformers

Started by Zabba, March 02, 2015, 11:12:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Zabba

I consider this current team serial underperformers. Yes I know we have won

2011 FA Cup
2011/12 PL
2013/14 PL
2014 League Cup

and we have been,

FA Cup runners up 2013
PL Runners up 2012/13

I am over the moon with this success as I waited 30+ years for it however given the resources and calibre of player we have at our disposal we have underperformed.

We should have won the PL 2012/13, no excuse for not winning it.
We should have won the FA Cup 2013

and we should have performed better in the CL than the dismal displays we have put in.

This year the cause of those failings (arrogant and lazy against weaker opponents, tactically naive against stronger opponents, waiting for half-time or going a goal down before upping the tempo and work rate. no team ethos,) have finally caught us up and they have become an ingrained habit resulting in a trophyless season under a clueless manager who loves to tinker aimlessly.

So much as I am delighted with what we have won, we should have done and won much more and I consider that this team has underperformed significantly.

bry the guy

Are we just greedy,just a few short years ago we went 30 odd years with shit players and won nothing.We could only dream of the players we have now and even most off the results we have had.......Barca and Munich in the champions league wernt even dreams and i wouldnt swap what we have now for what we had just 6 years ago.

Yes with this team we should do better but im not complaining,i am enjoying watching some great players and at times some great football,long may it go on.

bluebrendan

The CL failures I can live with in the sense that it takes some time to get attuned to what's needed to succeed in Europe. Ferguson's rags took 6 years to win the thing and Chelsea needed 8 or 9 attempts after the Abramovitch takeover before winning it in 2012.

I agree that we should have won the 12/13 PL title but our efforts weren't helped by off-field disruptions between Mancini, the ex-Barca boys and the players.

This season we have made Chelsea look a better team than they really are by throwing stupid points away in winnable games, so frustrating given that we more than matched Chelsea in the two league games. We need a stronger more tactically aware manager and a few top class signings to re-launch the squad.

Zabba

Quote from: bry the guy on March 02, 2015, 14:13:40
Are we just greedy,just a few short years ago we went 30 odd years with shit players and won nothing.We could only dream of the players we have now and even most off the results we have had.......Barca and Munich in the champions league wernt even dreams and i wouldnt swap what we have now for what we had just 6 years ago.

Yes with this team we should do better but im not complaining,i am enjoying watching some great players and at times some great football,long may it go on.

Yes I think you are right I have got spoilt beyond my wildest dreams with this takeover and I have become a bad loser. That said I really want to see a dominant City before I pass on, a treble would do or a run of PL titles.

Neil Mcnab

We were underperformers from 1977-2010. The more recent type I can put up with.

gavin

I am a bit peeved at some performances lately but we have a lot to thank these players for. Many of the them are club legends already. I'd like to see them get back to form sooner rather than later or they should be replaced but it is grossly unfair to call them serial underperformers. They have done a great job for us over the last few years on the whole.