News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Ruben Dias

Started by CTID, September 25, 2020, 17:44:49

Previous topic - Next topic

CTID

Looks like we are about to sign him from Benefica. Good defender but not much pace only negative.

Man City Square Story

https://insidefutbol.com/2020/09/25/manchester-city-in-advanced-talks-for-tottenham-target-ruben-dias/474280/

Presumably no Kounde or Koulibaly to follow, which is a disappointment that we did not get one of these players.

Otamendi included in deal, going the other way apparently.

Hesperus

Hmm our track record of CB’s from the Portuguese has been good so far. What could go wrong.

Swiss

I'm still holding out hope for Upamecano

Hesperus

Kounde for me, really like the look of him. 

KunDB

Koulibaly would be my first preference followed by Kounde if that cannot happen. They both have the pace we lack at times at the back.

Dias is a very good defender but sadly lacks pace (makes up for that with intelligent game reading). At 6' 2" he would bring height and good heading ability to our central defence and as a bonus he scores goals as well.

So he is a viable alternative albeit it my third choice. I guess he is probably seen as a good long term investment, as in 5 years he will have progressed and still have good, maybe even better value than we pay now. Kounde falls into that category too, whereas Koulibaly brings immediate experience to a defence sorely in need of it at critical times in critical games but his value would be amortised over the period of his contract with no real residual value (hence why City only are prepared to pay circa £50m). 

KunDB

He is on his way seemingly as he just tweeted after tonight's game,

Ruben Dias: "I'm very happy of course, it was a very important game for me and being able to mark this game with a goal was very special. I believe that everyone already has a idea of why I hugged Rui Costa..."

Hesperus

Looks nailed on now, obviously not our first choice but he looks to have a lot good qualities, tall, strong in the air, leader, more in the Kompany mould. No great pace though, which I think is a problem given a lot of the goals scored against us are from quick breaks. Which is why I would have preferred Kounde.

I’m still scarred from the Mangala transfer, so I hope we’ve got this one right. Good luck to him though, he could be a real major player for us for years to come.

Also looks like Otamendi going the opposite way, all the best to him too, he’s enjoyed a lot of success at City and has played  a big part of it. Thanks Ota!

CTID

I'll second that Otamendi was a big player at City and done well. will always smile when his name is mentioned, a true warrior. All the very best and thank you for everything, good and bad.

Swiss

I'm confused as to this pace thing. The only place I've read that he lacks pace is on this board. I don't watch Portuguese football, so am I missing something???

goat

Quote from: Swiss on September 28, 2020, 10:21:58
. I don't watch Portuguese football,

same as most with reports on him

ive read he has a mistake in him, which defender hasnt

Kilkenny Blue

Quote from: goat on September 28, 2020, 11:18:48
same as most with reports on him

ive read he has a mistake in him, which defender hasnt

Was talking a a colleague from Portugal who is a Benfica fan and he rates him very highly and is gutted to seem him go

CTID

Quote from: Swiss on September 28, 2020, 10:21:58
I'm confused as to this pace thing. The only place I've read that he lacks pace is on this board. I don't watch Portuguese football, so am I missing something???

I don't think the worry is that he 'lacks pace', just he is not an exceptional pacey centre back (Like Koulibaly is); which would be a benefit given the very high line we play.

Swiss

Quote from: Kilkenny Blue on September 28, 2020, 18:46:29
Was talking a a colleague from Portugal who is a Benfica fan and he rates him very highly and is gutted to seem him go

He's their captain isn't he?  There's a few captains I've been gutted to see go over the years. I hope he's vocal, we need more voices.

Kilkenny Blue

Aye, turns out that 90% of my Portuguese colleagues are Benfica fans!  The few I've been in contact with are devastated he's leaving.  General consensus is that he's wise beyond his years and a great leader on the pitch and a great communicator.

lee

Just what we need..A leader

Swiss

As well as Dias (photos of him coming out of the lowry), we're being linked to the Ajax LB Nicolas Tagliafico, who is 28 and Argentinian.

Had a quick butchers at his YouTube.

Likes a slide tackle, a bit of a tussle and his crosses tend to be across the floor.

KunDB

Signing officially confirmed by club.

Hesperus

Welcome  Ruben, you’ve got your work cut out, but a real opportunity too.

KunDB

Really impressive welcome interview on official site from Ruben.

Certainly convinced me he may mentally be the real deal, a leader and a winner.

Swiss

Have you seen on his OS announcement that they're offering a new signing shirt for Koulibali  :D