News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

v Porto CL

Started by KunDB, December 01, 2020, 18:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Garcia, Zinchenko, Rodrigo, Fernandinho (C), Bernardo, Foden, Sterling, Torres

SUBS | Steffen, Carson, Walker, Stones, Ake, Gundogan, Jesus, Laporte, De Bruyne, Mendy, Mahrez, Doyle

Not happy central back pair has been mixed up again, consistency brings about success and Garcia does not deserve to start. Dias should be allowed a chance to form a partnership with Laporte, and Stones as back up. Success depends on a strong partnership at the centre of defence.

Otherwise strong team and good we can rest some players.

Aguero missing yet again is a big, big concern.

Hope Doyle gets a start.

gavin

Few changes but still a strong side. The interesting point about Garcia is that Laporte seems out of favour for now. Pep doesn't seem too concerned about Sergio. We'll need him for all the games coming up so probably wise to be cautious.

Stephen Paul

Stephen Paul

The commentary on Bt sport is woeful

gavin

Frustrating stuff first half. But we've got the ball into the box a lot and it has to fall for us eventually I think.

gavin

Jesus wept. In that second half we must have been trying to get as close as possible to scoring without actually managing it.

Swiss

Dias had a great goal line clearance in their half...

lee

Quote from: Swiss on December 01, 2020, 23:09:43
Dias had a great goal line clearance in their half...

Walker esq

Swiss

KunDB

Quote from: Swiss on December 03, 2020, 20:43:07
Is Laporte injured?

Guardiola said the whole team was fit so I suspect he has done something to annoy Pep.

KunDB

Per Sam Lee in The Athletic, citing Guardiola after the Burnley game when the press suggested he had rested key players.

“It’s not about rest here,” he countered. “I saw Kevin a little bit exhausted mentally (before the game against Olympiakos). But right now I use the players who are in better conditions or more focused. If the players think they have been rested because I am rotating, they have made a big mistake.

“Every game I put in the best players, sometimes for the benefit of the team, sometimes because of injuries, but especially the players who play well. It’s not about the players who believe, ‘I deserve to start because I have been here for three or four years’.

“It doesn’t matter if you have won a lot of titles in the past or you score a lot of goals â€" you have to show it on the pitch in the recent past, in the present and especially in the future.”

Guardiola’s always said he picks his team on merit, of course, but this appeared to be a shot across the bows â€" one which pleased supporters after a poor run of performances.

And it was. It was a reminder to players â€" and fans â€" that some of his top names have not been living up to expectations, and that they could not use fatigue as an excuse, which was a big departure from his previous message, explaining that his team were not ready to play a full match in top condition.

Several big-name players were left on the bench, including Bernardo Silva and the recently impressive Joao Cancelo, as was Phil Foden, who had scored the only goal in the previous game.

But sources indicate that the message was intended for Laporte and Raheem Sterling, and that is especially noteworthy.