News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Offside Rule Change

Started by KunDB, January 26, 2021, 17:13:29

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12199339/referees-told-to-alter-offside-decisions-after-controversy-in-man-city-vs-aston-villa-game

The letter states: "Where a player in an offside position immediately impacts on an opponent who has deliberately played the ball, the match officials shall prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offence of 'interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent's ability to play the ball' shall be penalised."

However, if for example, an attacking player in an offside position receives the ball from a misplaced pass or miskick by an opponent, that attacking player will not be flagged offside - a situation which Aston Villa benefitted from against Newcastle on Saturday, when Fabian Schar's attempted clearance fell to Ollie Watkins, who scored with a header.

To me this is nonsense. For a start changing a rule halfway through a competition. Also, if it is ok for a player to profit from standing offside from a deflection of an opponent why is it not ok for a player offside to come back onside and immediately resume playing and challegning.

This is rule change by media punditry.

gavin

It is absolutely nonsensical to me. Very strange thinking.

KunDB

Guess there will be another change to the offside rule after tonight’s goal against WBA.

Lol

Paddy

Off side rule always and always will be controversial. Two thirds of Jimmy Greaves goals would have been cancelled out !!! under todays rulings

Swiss

Quote from: KunDB on January 26, 2021, 20:45:03
Guess there will be another change to the offside rule after tonight’s goal against WBA.

Lol

I guess the lino's will be told to leave flag down if they close and let VAR check