News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Taking the knee

Started by Stephen Paul, June 08, 2021, 08:51:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Should players still take the knee before kick off ?

Yes
7 (77.8%)
No
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

KunDB

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on June 10, 2021, 22:10:37
Another American import we dont need. Bin it off.

On that skewed logic we must have imported inequality then. Another excuse to stop people peacefully protesting against being treated unfairly and unequally. Pathetic really.

Unknown Pleasures

If 'taking a knee' makes one person question their attitude towards racism then it's worth it. The booing of the gesture is the very reason the protest should go on; asking for it to stop is asking for inequality to continue.

You only have to look at Twitter this morning and the reaction to Raheem Sterling receiving an MBE to realise how bitter and twisted people can be.

Stephen Paul

Sterling will always be racially abused which is sad really

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Correct Stevie but that applies to any person of colour.

Swiss

I don't know why people are booing the knee.

It's ridiculous and the fans who boo should receive a 10 match stadium ban

Stephen Paul

Unfortunately you cannot ban someone for freedom of speech

gavin

You can ban someone for shouting racist comments so freedom of speech isn't really a thing. It is always freedom of speech to a reasonable extent. Not sure about banning people for booing myself but still I've a low opinion of those idiots.

Stephen Paul

It's difficult these days with alot of racists in crowds

Swiss

Quote from: gavin on June 21, 2021, 21:23:56
You can ban someone for shouting racist comments so freedom of speech isn't really a thing. It is always freedom of speech to a reasonable extent. Not sure about banning people for booing myself but still I've a low opinion of those idiots.

It will start to send a message. It's ridiculous to protest against a protest, that only lasts a minute!

The sooner tougher remedial action is applied, the better.

They should also be made to go on a list so they don't get in positions of working with vulnerable people.

Neil Mcnab

It is BLM based, it was brought in on that basis. They are now saying its nothing to do with BLM now, a bit like doing a roman salute and saying its nothing to do with Nazi idealogy. Equality, absolutely, but I dont support defunding the police and some other beliefs of BLM. As for booing, its fine to choose what people can and cant boo? In a free society, stopping criticism and other views you dont like is a very dangerous path to go down.

gavin

I don't think it is appropriate at all to compare taking a knee with Nazi salutes.

Stephen Paul

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on June 23, 2021, 18:38:24
It is BLM based, it was brought in on that basis. They are now saying its nothing to do with BLM now, a bit like doing a roman salute and saying its nothing to do with Nazi idealogy. Equality, absolutely, but I dont support defunding the police and some other beliefs of BLM. As for booing, its fine to choose what people can and cant boo? In a free society, stopping criticism and other views you dont like is a very dangerous path to go down.

This will become an issue that you cannot boo the opposition

Hesperus

Colin Kaepernick stated the act of taking the knee during the American national anthem because he could not show pride in a flag that oppressed black people. So when it started it had no links to BLM. BLM then started to use it and when England used it they made it clear it was not in support BLM but as a stand against racism.

If someone wants to link it to BLM when the players have made it clear it’s not about that. They are just wrong.

Swiss

Is there any actual, factual link to the England football team taking the knee and defunding police?
If there is, I'd like to see it because that sounds like a trumping shite sentence!

lee

The whole thing is becoming embarrassing.
They carried on playing the music really loud when England got on their knees again to cover up the booing.

Hesperus

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on June 23, 2021, 18:38:24
As for booing, its fine to choose what people can and cant boo? In a free society, stopping criticism and other views you dont like is a very dangerous path to go down.

No one is saying anything against free speech. If someone wants to boo that’s entirely their right. But if someone boos something that they know is a protest against racism. Then they are supporting racism and as such racist.

Stephen Paul

So you can't boo anything or anyone when a team takes the knee but you can boo at any other times including national anthems

Strange

Stephen Paul

I am certainly not against taking the knee but just think it has run its course

Hesperus

Do you think the footballers think it’s run it’s course? If they do then they’ll stop it.

Stephen Paul

Some teams have stopped it