News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Julian Wiegl

Started by KunDB, January 13, 2016, 19:29:50

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

City are preparing a â,¬25m (£18.7m) bid for Weigl and see him as a replacement for Yaya Toure according to emerging rumours.

Seen as a Guardiola target, as well.

goat

just saw it now, saw it at 19 mill tho so its going up every minute

never heard of him, any good?

KunDB

He is news to me, but I have read very good reports.

Swiss

Never heard of him either, does he play for Porto?

goat

dortmund so less chance of being raped by portuguese fellas

Ludo

Can he play centre half??

KunDB

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/julian-weigl-borussia-dortmunds-latest-boy-wonder-whos-sweeping-midfield#:I3QZj8N6ldHa5A

September 2015 article on him

This time last year, Julian Weigl was simply hoping for his chance to impress bigger suitors at struggling second division German side 1860 Munich. Then-head coach Ricardo Moniz (now of Notts County) was sacked on September 24 after just 96 days in charge and replaced by Markus von Ahlen, who himself lasted only 15 matches. But Moniz made a serious impact on Weigl, who at that time was an 18-year-old boy trying to make his way in his first professional season.

The Dutch coach immediately made Weigl captain of one of Germany’s most traditional teams. “Julian is now a man,” Moniz told journalists when asked about his decision.

The tall, slender midfielder started 18 of the remaining 27 league fixtures under Von Ahlen and, his third head coach of the season, Torsten Fröhling. He was relieved of his captain’s duties, but had made a lasting impression in helping to keep one of Germany’s historical names out of the third division, if only just â€" 1860 needed a relegation play-off win over Holstein Kiel courtesy of a 91st-minute second-leg winner.

Weigl played for one of the worst teams in the country last season, in a position â€" holding midfield â€" which often goes unnoticed in the best of sides. Despite the players around him struggling for form, Weigl’s performances were impossible to miss for one of Germany’s biggest clubs. Borussia Dortmund picked up their man for just â,¬2.5 million over the summer, seeing him as a future first-team player.

Why you need to know him

“In this [second] division, it is all about headed duels and long balls, dynamics that he still needs to work on,” were the departing words of former boss Fröhling, who didn’t start him in either leg of that relegation play-off. “With Dortmund he is showing his true quality in a league that allows him to. He always demands the ball, it’s a courage I’ve never seen from such a young player before.”

Fröhling’s words were strong and put expectations high on Weigl’s young shoulders. When he arrived at Dortmund over the summer, many didn’t expect to be hearing his name blasted out around Signal Iduna Park alongside 10 others. Yet the 20-year-old has started in all but two games for Borussia this season, even forcing one of his idols, Sven Bender, onto the substitutes' bench.

As well as Bender, new signing Gonzalo Castro has made hard work of his start in Dortmund, thanks partly to Weigl’s brilliance. Former Bayer Leverkusen man Castro’s only chance this season came at right-back in the Europa League against Odds and didn’t end well (he was withdrawn at half-time with Dortmund 3-1 down). The lanky but stylish Weigl â€" who once said “I can eat what I want and not change shape, so I do” - already looks a secure piece of Thomas Tuchel’s Dortmund puzzle.

93 - @JuWeigl currently has the best passing accuracy of all players of the @BVB (93%) and celebrates his 20th birthday today. Talent.

â€" OptaFranz (@OptaFranz) September 8, 2015

Swiss

Looks more like a defensive mid but with quick feet on the ball and can pass.

Def not a goal threat as he's never scored before (age 20, 86 games)