News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

No to killing competition

Started by gavin, March 02, 2016, 07:46:08

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Recently, I have read a few articles that mentioned the possibility of wildcards for teams to get into the Chumps League. To me that would be killing football. It should be about competition. If you can't get in the top four then tough. That should apply to City and everyone else, including the rags, who are quite obviously behind it because of recent failures to qualify.

Likewise any talk of breakaway European Leagues not based on merit is disgusting. I read this morning that City are involved in meetings on this. They should not be. Football should be about competitive achievement not just about who is the biggest clubs.

clevblue

Surely the clue is in the title The Champions League?

I don't really understand what you are talking about, what are these meetings and which clubs are involved?

Can you give us a link please it sounds interesting!! 

Swiss

They've only been invited to talks. Might as well go and listen if only to know the reasons of rejection. Making sure the old guard don't agree to sign up to anything that will fuck over everyone else.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: gavin on March 02, 2016, 10:25:41
http://m.goal.com/s/en-gb/news/2914/champions-league/2016/02/23/20624692/champions-league-should-introduce-wildcards-bartomeu

I'm not in the least bit surprised that Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu wants 'wild card' teams to give the likes of Chelsea and the rags a route in should they fail to qualify.

It will mean some nice easy wins for Barca in the early group matches to get them nicely warmed up for the proper games. 

Rowley Birkin QC

Joking aside... First we had FFP trying to protect the cartel of so called élite European clubs, and if that wasn't transparent enough we now have one of its leading members suggesting ways other members of the 'club' can still get in and rake in the cash even if they're not good enough to qualify!

If that's what they want we might as well all sign up to the monstrous Super League idea anyway - because the already watered down Champions League will have become totally meaningless if clubs are being allowed in that only finished 9th or 15th in their domestic leagues.

Victoria

That's Americanism for ya! money, money and making more money :)

clevblue

What if they did it with B teams?  Youngsters getting European experience, some British lads getting through?

KunDB

I really hope we do not do a top four dishonest rigging of the competitions we play in.