News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

lowest point as a city fan

Started by goat, April 27, 2016, 15:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

goat

remember when we were shit?

i do when  travellling  to an  away  game in  wycombe, getting lost and finding out they beat us on radio

special mention  goes to getting sent down by ipswich  and bumping into the only ipswich fan in fuckin wales the next day

gavin

Losing to Stoke at half time at Maine Road in Div 2, it was awful. But we went on to win. That was the turning point but it was the lowest point at half time.

Leewonpen

David Pleat doing his jig towards me in the Kippax when Luton sent us down.....

Swiss

guidebridgeblue

Losing to Bury at home [1998] felt like rock bottom,even worse than ending up in the third tier.

Ludo

Seeing Gillingham's second goal go in in the '99 playoff final.

At that point it felt like the bottom of my world had just fallen out and there was never going to be any way back.

Gareth

1997 - losing to Stockport... a local derby! Oh how they laughed!

Gareth

Quote from: Leewonpen on April 27, 2016, 21:21:38
David Pleat doing his jig towards me in the Kippax when Luton sent us down.....
What's so bad about this one is that even now it gets replayed and Pleat still turns up on commentaries... wanker...

lee

same one as gav..crackin 2nd half..i was in the kippax that day..gareth taylor sorted us out..it was fookin cold and shit :)

KunDB

Quote from: Ludo on April 27, 2016, 22:41:43
Seeing Gillingham's second goal go in in the '99 playoff final.

At that point it felt like the bottom of my world had just fallen out and there was never going to be any way back.

I'm still not recovered.

reddishblue

Slipping in the bogs in the kippax after a trip through dog shit alley to get there. Not my proudest moment.

zacc

Not one instance in particular rather the times when everyone referred to City as "Likkle Citeh" were generally amused by their antics & never saw City as a threat.

jingoe

Getting on the tube at Wembley being goaded by spuds fans after the Ricky Villa final in 81

bluebrendan

Although the season in the third tier was grim at times it did have the "bonus" for me of visiting a lot of new grounds. The previous season, when we got relegated, was just pure misery.

The 3-1 defeat at Edgeley, already mentioned.

Losing at home to Bury with a City fan scoring the winner (Paul Butler).

Taking the lead in stoppage time at Birmingham only for the ref to find 7 additional minutes in which Brum scored twice.  :o

Jamie Pillock's spectacular o.g. against QPR the week before the madness at the Britannia.

I think I prefer it nowadays!

goat

i had 50p on you being chased up sloper road  after the cup game making the list

bluebrendan

Quote from: goat on April 29, 2016, 23:08:26
i had 50p on you being chased up sloper road  after the cup game making the list

Well if they'd caught up with me... ;)

Rowley Birkin QC

Lowest point? Jeez - where do you start?!

Losing to Spurs in the '81 Cup Final reply was always a bitter wound for me - the memory of which I think was only finally blotted out by Aguero's Championship winner in 2012. Finally we had done something that completely eclipsed Ricky Villa's f**cking goal.

Far worse was to come of course, but that's the thing. I had a premonition that evening in 1981 that far worse WAS to come. I can't explain why - but I can remember I just had this sudden feeling of dread: that we were doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future. I can remember my dad telling me to cheer up and we'd be "back next year" but nothing could shake my despondency. The Trevor Francis debacle a year later, the realisation that we were skint, and the confirmation of the long held suspicion that Swales really was an idiot - only added to my self-fulfilling prophecy. David Pleat dancing his loafers across the Maine Road turf (and our grave) in '83 had a sickening inevitability about it for me.

The playing for a draw against Liverpool and the fruitless win at Stoke when we dropped to the third tier were also very low moments, but still my mind wanders back to 1981. 

Paul lakes knee

The season we won it first ,when Arsenal beat us and Balotelli got sent off and we all thought we had blown it. A different kind of low to all those mentioned above, but still the most upset I've been after a game- including the 81 Cup Final, getting thumped at home by the rags in the mid 90's .winning at Stoke yet still going down etc.

All ended up ok though.