News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Roma v City

Started by gavin, December 10, 2014, 19:34:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

I think in the premier league the standard is lower than the CL so in most PL games you can trade off Ya Ya's lack of mobility by his undoubted attacking quality, but in the CL the team needs to work hard especially away from home. It will be interesting to see if Pelle thinks this too in the next CL game Ya Ya is available.

Rowley Birkin QC

An interesting assessment Hesperus. I'd go so far as to say even in some Prem matches, against opposition that perhaps lacks finesse but make up for it with hard running and a quick passing game, Yaya is too often left stranded in his defensive duties.

Gavin's right of course - Yaya can have an otherwise poor game, but still unlock an opponent's defence with just one moment of vision and a brilliant pass. The problem is, as I see it - Are those moments of brilliance enough to offset the goals we have conceded after opponents have neatly passed the ball or run through our midfield with barely a challenge being offered?

It's a dilemma I think we're all (Pellegrini included) going to be regularly weighing up in our minds as we watch the big man play over the next few months, but perhaps in this game we caught our first real glimpse of what 'life after Yaya' might look like?

Zabba

My problem with Yaya was the same problem I had with the rest of the team up to the Swansea game their work rate and commitment. No doubting their talent as individuals and performance as a team when they worked hard and for each other, but that simply was not happening.

Since Swansea that immense individual talent has been combined with a team ethic of hard work, even Yaya has worked hard and boy our performances have soared. If that continues Yaya is a gem and a must keep and play, but that may be a big if.

Losing is not a problem for me when we work hard as a team, it is when we just stroll our way through a game.

When Yaya works hard the benefits far outweigh the deficits.