News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

15 man core squad

Started by Swiss, May 30, 2016, 10:39:33

Previous topic - Next topic

goat

not sure some people get the concept of a core group of  15

you know a teams spine right.... thats usually 4 players, thats less than 15 and some go batshit about a team needing a settled  one

the spine tend to play week in and week out depending on fitness, its still less than 15

the 15 will  be in the match squad week in and week out, doesnt mean all 15 will start the game because you can still only pick 11

the 15 will be rotated within the core group of 15 so they will be as fresh as any player will be  and any that are not as fresh will be replaced by one of the players not in the core 15

it doesnt mean only 15 will be picked from and it doesnt mean the only replacements will be kids. shite like delph , navas and anyone else nobody is mug enough to buy will still get a game

Swiss

I was high on Flu meds the last few days, have I confused people?!

We're still looking at a 25 man squad.

I expect over the next few years we'll see a transition to "non-core" Solid, if unspectacular players. Those that don't get upset they're not playing week in, week out & don't come with big ego's. But can come in and do a job when injuries occur.

Mixed with a sprinkling of players who have come through the academy.

I just checked out Barce, looks like they had 12 players with 20 (or more) starts

Also, I didn't realise Ter-Stegen wasn't first choice.

KunDB

Quote from: goat on May 31, 2016, 02:36:36

you know a teams spine right.... thats usually 4 players, thats less than 15 and some go batshit about a team needing a settled  one

the spine tend to play week in and week out depending on fitness, its still less than 15

the 15 will  be in the match squad week in and week out, doesnt mean all 15 will start the game because you can still only pick 11

the 15 will be rotated within the core group of 15 so they will be as fresh as any player will be  and any that are not as fresh will be replaced by one of the players not in the core 15

it doesnt mean only 15 will be picked from and it doesnt mean the only replacements will be kids. shite like delph , navas and anyone else nobody is mug enough to buy will still get a game

Thanks for that dummies guide. Most helpful. Ok I get it.

goat

no problem, happy to help

Lekos

nimrod

Quote from: goat on May 31, 2016, 02:36:36

Sounds a bit confusing, reminds me of the Monty Python classroom instructions, not sure all our players will get it 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXw7LYWNi5E

KunDB

Well, now that's all sorted. Does anyone remember 2012 and the firepower at our disposal Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko.

Surely no one would turn down having four first class strikers at our disposal. Got me thinking how they would have fitted in to a 15 man core squad and what ours could be next season.

Currently we have Sergio and Kelechi, and Pep will surely buy another experienced top class striker, possibly even two.

The midfield we have a fair bit of talent already with Silva, DeBruyne and Fernandinho then maybe Raheem and Nasri. Then Pep is buying a few more midfielders hopefully to put a bit of steel in our midfield.

Hopefully Pep will acquire a whole new back four to support VK, if ever fit again.

That's the 15 core players then.

Potentially, a lot of (13) other unhappy non-core players unless we have a big summer discount sale; Bony, Clichy, Sagna, Otamendi, Mangala, Kolarov, Zabaleta, Delph, Fernando, Navas, Yaya, Delph, and Jovetic.

goat

jovetic is still ours?

lee

14.5 million euro's inter paid for jov

goat

strange bloke, looked like rocky dennis and was probably banging his sister

KunDB

Technically, Jovetic is still ours, an 18 month loan with a conditional clause of some sort - presumably to buy him outright.

goat

Swiss

Roma's, He met the permanent buy clause in his loan last October according to wiki.

Something similar with Jovetic, who is officially Inter's btw, not ours.

On 31 July 2015, Jovetić joined Serie A side Inter on an 18-month loan deal, for â,¬2.5 million, with a conditional obligation of redemption for â,¬14.5 million, if Inter was ranked 17th or better in December 2016. Jovetić signed a four-year contract.

gavin

Whether you put a figure on it or not there is always likely to be groups of players. As was said earlier, there is a spine of crucial players, players who always play when fit, players who play a lot in the league and cups but aren't necessarily always first choices.  That would probably be 15 or so. Then you have fringe players, who play a bit in the league and a lot in the cups, and some who only play in the cups when there's a load of injuries that make up the rest of your whole squad. It would be impossible to keep twenty five top players happy. It is all about having a balanced squad to cover for injuries whilst not having too much bad feeling when people aren't playing.