News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Muhammad Ali

Started by nimrod, June 04, 2016, 07:34:47

Previous topic - Next topic

nimrod

RIP

In my book the greatest sportsman that ever lived

Ludo

A superb boxer and in his prime almost untouchable. I can't say I was a fan of his out of the ring antics but a legend nonetheless. He probably should have retired after his 'rumble in the jungle' with George Foreman because later defeats against the likes of Leon Spinks did his reputation at the time no good at all.

RIP

bluebrendan

One of my boyhood sporting heroes, an amazing boxer. I agree that he should have retired after beating Foreman but he had so many hangers-on that were bleeding him dry. I also admired him being prepared to go to prison for refusing conscription, he could have taken a soft option as I'm sure he wouldn't have been used in a combat role.

RIP

nimrod

probably should never have had the rumble with George

he too too much punishment

gavin

A great man in many ways and defnitely a great boxer. He let himself down a bit with some of his comments about Frazier in the build up to their fights. Looking at boxing today though you can only cry with despair when you compare it to what those guys put on. It seems they fought for their lives. Look at Frazier and Ali's last fight to see what I mean. He really was a sportsman when it came down to it, he could talk a lot and well but his fighting more than matched his talking.

lee

Muhaammad Ali
“All Jews and gentiles are devils… Blacks are no devils… Everything black people doing wrong comes from (the white people): Drinking, smoking, prostitution, homosexuality, stealing, gambling: It all comes from (the white people)”
Ironically,

Ali was presented with the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Century in 1999

goat

the reason he carried on too long was him giving all his cash to the nation of  islam mentalists

ali at his peak v tyson at his...tyson would kill him

lee

Quote from: goat on June 05, 2016, 13:42:40
the reason he carried on too long was him giving all his cash to the nation of  islam mentalists

i would to have loved to have seen that

Ludo

No chance.

He fought a better fighter than Tyson in Joe Frazier and those were 3 epics that he came out of winning 2-1.

bluebrendan

Well we never saw Ali at his peak, that would have been around 1969/70 but he had his licence suspended in 1967 after the conscription court case. Foreman was at least as heavy a puncher as Tyson and Ali dealt with him when he was past his peak. I think Ali would have out-jabbed Tyson and won comfortably on points assuming Tyson had the stamina to last that long.

nimrod

Most pro boxers have him down as the best heavyweight, he did introduce nimble feet to heavyweight boxing so he changed things, in his prime Tyson mightve struggled to hit him.

Thing is he was much more than a boxer, most of them have dead brains and no personality

I liked how he refused to go to Vietnam, if every young guy had done that the war mongering pollies wouldve been fucked, in the end it was all for nothing anyway