News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Heaven or Hell?

Started by 93:2012, December 14, 2014, 20:46:56

Previous topic - Next topic

93:2012

The next TV rights contract for the PL (16/17 season) allows for 10 live Friday evening games. Heaven for me, finish work, pub, pint, City, What a great start to the weekend wind down. So I am in favour.

Mind you only a matter of time before we have breakfast games or ones kicking off 4 in the morning; to cater for the Asian market (only joking so calm down - well I think I am).

Wonder when we get live 3pm Saturday games, now wouldn't that be cool.

I like the idea provided it is used properly, to support teams playing in Europe for example, but I am also sure as hell we will be playing a quarter or semi-final game in Europe on the Wednesday abroad, and penned in for a Derby game two days later. Inevitable, as TV rules the roost, or put another way money wins out over fans and players interests.

What do you think are you for or against Friday evening games?

Ludo

The BBC showed Friday night games years ago before the premier league started. If I'm not mistaken Arsenal won the title beating Liverpool 2-0 on a Friday.

gavin

Just show every game and have done with it. Show the 3pms but keep quite a few games at that time. I think that fears that lower league attendances will be affected greatly are over estimated.

bry the guy

Another work day match isnt what fans want im sure of that more so for the fans that dont live in manchester.Why dont they just play 1 more game on a sunday with the 1st game at 12.30 and the last game at 8.00.

andy1966

"put another way money wins out over fans and players interests. "
Unfortunately money is the players interest,and in some cases wins out over football

As for Friday night matches , years ago they used to play top flight matches on Wednesday afternoons

Stephen Paul

you can watch every game live here in Abu Dhabi . Saturdays are brilliant flicking through the live games , thats the way it should be

Rowley Birkin QC

Here in Australia Friday night games are played every week for Aussie Rules and they are very popular. As Alibernarbia said in the OP - "finish work, pub, pint, City". Often a good atmosphere. I'd certainly be up for it if I still lived in the NW of England. Doesn't work as well for away fans, but Friday night fixtures might be ideal as big draw matches for the local derbys (the London clubs; Manchester / Old Trafford / Scouse teams; Birmingham / West Midlands teams and so on).

Here AFL is also played on Monday nights (and late afternoon / early evening on Sundays) and recently there has been much negative comment about these matches. Crowds are noticeably poorer for these games. Personally I hate Monday night football (proper football and Aussie Rules).

I think Friday night football is a good idea, but I'd like to see Monday night football given the chop.

Mike

Quote from: bry the guy on December 14, 2014, 21:40:58
Another work day match isnt what fans want im sure of that more so for the fans that dont live in manchester.Why dont they just play 1 more game on a sunday with the 1st game at 12.30 and the last game at 8.00.

Over here they have Friday night games and I much prefer them to the nonsense late Sunday kick offs.  Leaving a ground at ten (and here many Sunday games don't start until 10 so read 'midnight') on the other side of the country before work on a Monday morning is a shitter!