News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pep effect

Started by zacc, November 28, 2016, 13:23:34

Previous topic - Next topic

zacc

An old article describing methods used by Guardiola et al, fascinating insights into attention to detail & training.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/15/pep-guardiola-bayern-munich-pep-confidential-book-marti-perarnau

gavin

He has his work cut out this week because at the moment, as he himself has acknowledged, Chelsea look better than us - particularly at the back. We look like a team struggling from match to match. Hopefully this week off will rejuvenate us and at least Pep will have some time with the team to focus on the opponents. This is the sort of match where he has to earn his corn. In some ways it was Pelle's almost arrogant approach that he would not adapt to opponents, insisting that we were better and didn't have to, that cost us last season in all the big matches. At least Pep recognises that we are not good enough to steamroiller everybody.

Paul lakes knee

Pool and Chelsea have had some sort of advantage recently in that they weren't in the Chumps League, yet we are still keeping up with them.

Gareth

Well, ok, but if we finished 3rd and Pep said, 'but 1st and 2nd weren't in European competitions', wouldn't that sound a bit lame?

gavin

We're in a decent position at the moment but come the end of the season third is nowhere.  Must be champions this season. He's doing a good job, seems a good guy but two years without the title is enough and he must get results.

Swiss

Lame yes, but not wrong.

We have some duffers in our squad taking up places yet unable to play, this will hrt us over the season.

I like Delph's drive but bloody hell, Darren Anderton or what!?

Gareth

My point was really that at the end of the season you just have to be top of the table, and the effect of European competition, duffers in the squad, injuries, whatever; none of that stuff matters. I'm not looking for reasons we didn't win it. It's up to Pep to identify those reasons and sort them now so that either we win it, or if not, then some other lot were just better than us, no excuses.

zacc

It's his first season so early doors as they say the players brought in under his management have been good buys,
albeit few glitches as the players learn new way of playing. Sure it'll improve as more of the type of players he prefers are brought in especially from the youth which is one of his fortes.
Anyway the future is bright it's sky blue ;) 

Rowley Birkin QC

I've little doubt that Pep is probably facing his biggest challenge in management in taking on City - in our current state, Post-Pellegrini. But like zacc I'm optimistic (hmmm - optimism - always dangerous in a City supporter  :-\ ) that he has the vision and ability to get us there.

Neil Mcnab

Pep lives, eats and sleeps the game. No surprise his methods are so thorough. He learns, adapts and improves. It might not be this season, but I am confident of our greatest success with Pep. There can be no doubt he will have full backing of the club to achieve it.

Hesperus

Pep has come in and is completely changing the philosophy, culture and most importantly style of play. Like with any radical change in life. You normally see a short term improvement, then a dip in performance, followed by a gradual improvement to a level above where you started. IMO we are in our dip, and have been probably since the spuds game. By Christmas or after, I believe we'll really start to see the benefit. Considering we are In our dip and we're still up there in the league and CL, I think this season could be real good one!

gavin

We just need to start finishing and thereby finishing teams off really. Today was another case in point as if we needed another. We make the chances, squander them and are then made to pay. Shame but hopefully we will have a run at some stage where we actually start taking a few.