News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Finishing practice

Started by gavin, March 12, 2017, 20:03:30

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Either we aren't doing enough or it isn't effective. Something must be done to improve our finishing. The amount of balls that go flying across the box  that seemingly just need a touch and no-one makes it is incredibly frustrating. I swear sometimes all they have to do is chuck themselves at the ball. No finesse necessary. Just make contact and get it in. Stoke is still playing on my mind.

Gareth

It's especially dispiriting when at the other end, any shot on target has a good chance of scoring.

Rowley Birkin QC

It's no secret I found both the Stoke and Boro games VERY frustrating viewing. I suppose all teams miss plenty of relatively easy close-in chances and we tend to notice ours more because we view them through a blue prism, but oh dear... having said that, how often in the last couple of years have we watched City labour away, missing chance after chance to score - only for our opponents to have no such trouble and punish us at practically the first opportunity?! Seems to happen with unusual regularity. (Although that probably says as much about our defence as anything).

One or more of Aguero, Sterling, Sane and Iheanacho (when he plays) really should all be capable of posing a serious threat around an opponent's 6 yard box during any given attack, but they often seem to fall short, just failing to get on the end of something, or stretching so much the contact is wild and the ball ends up in the side netting or somewhere in row H? Worse still are the crosses that fly through to the opposite corner flag and there's no one within a country mile of anything! I was wondering if perhaps we have lost a little edge because our most reliable striker, Aguero, seems to be spending more time this season dropping a touch deeper or more often wider (to my eyes at least), which can take him out of the final attack equation a bit.

Add to that our (otherwise brilliant) mids' attacking efforts - De Bruyne's rather erratic finishing and Silva's reluctance to shoot until he has a signed order, in triplicate - and our overall attacking inconsistency does appear glaring.

But probably just me though...

Gareth

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on March 13, 2017, 14:34:27
I was wondering if perhaps we have lost a little edge because our most reliable striker, Aguero, seems to be spending more time this season dropping a touch deeper or more often wider (to my eyes at least), which can take him out of the final attack equation a bit.

He could probably claim he was only doing as he was told.

zacc

Actually don't think City only team struggling with this.
I'm sure Swiss  could provide the stats for top 4 teams on number of shots, number on target, and number of actual goals?
;)

gavin

Every time I watch Chelsea they take a very high proportion of their chances. That is their strongest attribute.

gavin

Okay Costa has missed a couple tonight but at least he threw himself at that last one..

zacc

Quote from: gavin on March 13, 2017, 21:19:10
Okay Costa has missed a couple tonight but at least he threw himself at that last one..

hahahahaha

Paddy

Rowley: Silva is a central mid field player and not a striker, when he scores, it is a bonus

gavin

I reckon a player such as Silva with the chances he gets should be good for 10 goals a season. He scores for Spain. Still a class player regardless though.

Swiss

I think what we're missing, especially when yaya plays, is that midfielder who makes the runs into the box from deep. Having that extra body in there would cause confusion in the op defence too.

Hesperus

Totally agree on the finishing practice. I hope Sterling in particular spends at less an hour a day on it.

Also agree on the extra midfielder making late runs into the box. It puzzles me as to why Pep hasn't done something about it because it's glaringly obvious.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Paddy on March 14, 2017, 02:11:55
Rowley: Silva is a central mid field player and not a striker, when he scores, it is a bonus

Which was kinda my point. I was saying that in addition to our strikers our mids (Silva / KdB) sometimes don't contribute enough with goals.

Paddy

Also a tad of selfishness at times by Aquero and mane and a lack of confidence by Sterling