News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pep

Started by Paddy, March 15, 2017, 21:59:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

Has anybody noticed, when Pep is interviewed, he is always fiddling with either his beard or scalp, sense of insecurity me thinks

gavin

He's obviously a bit preoccupied and thoughtful. Though I'd be worried if he wasn't a little insecure. We all must doubt and examine ourselves even in success but especially in failure like tonight. I think a few players let him down tonight but nevertheless he is ultimately responsible. Next season we have to be much better.

Paddy

We haven't had any success so far and being realistic, cannot see us improving under Pep unless he learns the way of the premier league

Rowley Birkin QC

This is turning into an old episode of Kung Fu...

Paddy

Paddy

Don't see him as an improvement on our previous two managers in fact at the end of the season I think they both will have a "Heads up" on him

Rowley Birkin QC

Well, looks like this summer we will finally prove or disprove the popular theory that Pep's record is founded on him taking over established successful teams - because he has a significant rebuild job to do here.

There will have to be some big changes this summer.

Swiss

The signs have been at city for 2 seasons that we had to recycle players and we've tended to buy badly or not replace ageing players.
Recent defensive purchases?
Sagna, Otamendi, Mangala, savic, nastasic, stones...
None of them scream top of the game.

Would we be a different team with jesus, gundogan and Kompany? Most definitely.

Do I blame pep? No. Will I blame pep next year? Maybe depending on purchases and luck/injuries.

We probably have one of the best attacks in world football. But we are paper thin in squad depth with quality, drive & (to quote pep) personality.

Rowley Birkin QC

And so the clear-out speculation begins...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/16/pep-guardiola-manchester-city-clearout-18-players

I do think there will be big changes this summer. I don't think we've had a proper balanced side since Mancini. Since that 'first' Premiership (and in spite of all the money spent), we never seem to have quite got it right.

Gareth

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on March 16, 2017, 10:38:44
I don't think we've had a proper balanced side since Mancini.

Or maybe since Nigel de Jong...

Rowley Birkin QC

Precisely what I meant Gareth. Nigel was very much in my thoughts as I typed that.

KunDB

Wanting rid of Pep is just bizarre in my mind. Yes he has managed the best players in the world in his team, and he WILL attract the best players in the world to the City team and squad. He just needs time and the right players then we will be flying.

The crew he is stuck with are in the main a bunch of losers. As Pep so succinctly said about last night "We forgot to play in the first half, we forgot to fight as a team and press as a team and defend as a team."

How many times has these losers done that, when the going gets tough off they go?

goat

changed your mind yet?

i was always a bit iffy on pep seeing as he had teams handed to him

Ludo

I'm not sure how fair it is to say that Pep's had teams 'handed to him', sure he's worked at clubs that have had sustained periods of success and we aren't at that level yet.

He has to be given time and a chance to bring in players he feels fit the system he wants. After last nights debacle the turnover could be very large.

goat

id say its pretty fair, especially at bayern

agree with  him needing his own players, as long as none are as good as bravo we will be ok. this isnt so much pelles team hes inherited, fair chunk of it are lingering from mancini

gavin

I thought he had a faded team handed to him at Barca and turned it in to the greatest club side ever.

zacc

Quote from: Paddy on March 15, 2017, 21:59:13
Has anybody noticed, when Pep is interviewed, he is always fiddling with either his beard or scalp, sense of insecurity me thinks

Pep is body language expert heaven he's a mass of deflection, avoiding the truth cues.
I do like the fact he won't be pushed round by the press and they already are on their guard with him.

Rowley Birkin QC

Like Gavin, my impression was that he sorted out a fair few things at Barca.

goat

Quote from: gavin on March 16, 2017, 21:00:03
I thought he had a faded team handed to him at Barca and turned it in to the greatest club side ever.

he turned it into sacchis milan? thats some trick

clevblue

He had a lot to say after the dippers game, very interesting. Time and patience is what he needs