News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Fans and The Chumps League

Started by gavin, October 23, 2018, 11:21:07

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

I see Pep is encouraging the fans to embrace the Champions League and drive the team on to glory. There is certainly a lack of enthusiasm for the competition. Honestly, I turn up to the games myself with a sense of it being second class at best. I'd even say with less enthusiasm than for a knockout Carabao Cup match. I have few ideas how to remedy this either.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-fans-champions-league-15313868

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Ye I get what Peps saying, we're only shooting ourselves in the foot by not embracing it and the best way we can really stick it to Uefa is to win the whole thing.

Also, I fekin hate the MEN website, does me tits in.

KunDB

UEFA treatment of us and there sheer bias towards the established clubs and the money they bring in is at the heart of the problem. That said I am trying to embrace the competition now and set my hate for UEFA aside, as I want City to outgun our poor struggling neighbours and be top of the European tree; also we are now part of the grubby establishment we hate.

shandon

Quote from: gavin on October 23, 2018, 11:21:07
I see Pep is encouraging the fans to embrace the Champions League and drive the team on to glory. There is certainly a lack of enthusiasm for the competition. Honestly, I turn up to the games myself with a sense of it being second class at best. I'd even say with less enthusiasm than for a knockout Carabao Cup match. I have few ideas how to remedy this either.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-fans-champions-league-15313868

I guess you are aware some people on here will see this post and immediately 'that's only because we've never The UCL''  ;)
From my personal point of view I also usually prefer EPL/domestic cup games to watch. Of course us winning the premier league several times now and just about being unbeatable in the league cup helps with that enjoyment factor a lot  :). And the FA Cup too despite - for whatever reason - us seeming to find painful ways of going out in it every year (bar one) since I became a fan.

Also with my current TV 'arrangements', the only games I can watch live are about 5 premier league games a season - as well as just about every league cup game (and our fa cup games when 'chosen' for broadcast at last check). The rest of the EPL games and all the champions league games have gone to other channels so I can either watch those 24-72 hours later in full on delay or just follow the scores live. This season I have normally followed the 'other' EPL games on the internet and have not seen either ucl game in full (probably not today's either at this stage).

Apart from that other issues could include the quality of opponents and games - and of course the way the CSKA and Liverpool 'stuff' was/n't dealt with.

gavin

You'd think the fact that we've never won it would make people want to win it more though.

shandon

The players, coaches, owner and chairman say it is the top priority every season now. Apart from some fans that's everyone I think :D

As I said I don't like some things about the competition - and yes - we have not won it, so we don't have the 'history' with it that two teams who play in red do.

bluebrendan

I doubt there are any City fans who don't want us to win it, I'd love us to win both this season but I do think back to back Prem titles is a statement we need to make to emphasise our dominance of the English game.