News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

V Eagles Match Thread

Started by KunDB, December 22, 2018, 14:05:27

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

City XI | Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Otamendi, Delph (C), Gundogan, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Jesus

Subs | Muric, Danilo, Aguero, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Zinchenko, Foden

Good to see Delph get the captaincy for this game.

Come on City. Muric and Zinchenko recent performances making our bench look even stronger.

gavin

They've had two shots and both have flown in. Bloody unfortunate. But we have to be good enough to come back from these things.

Hesperus

Ridiculous score but we’ve created very little. Very disappointed with out attacking play. Kev and Serg on for the 2nd half please.

KunDB

13 who would have thought that.

One of those games that all the breaks are going Crystal Palace way.

That’s life sometimes.

Tricky Trev

It's astonishing how ordinary we are without certain key players. It's a huge gamble and will rarely work out making a team be so reliant on 2-3 players. Mainly Fernandinho and Aguero. There are literally no replacements and you have to have some luck to avoid injuries on them throughout the season, especially with Agueros record. This is a huge weakness that has not been addressed by our supposed genius and I'm quite frankly furious.

Has this been one of those odd games? Defintely but it's been in the cards for so long. We've struggled lately and it really shows when the key players are out. We are superb when nothing goes against us, but throw out a player or two, or things getting tough and we often struggle, way more than a great team should.

Lekos

Frankly furious? Ran away with the League last season. Give your fucking head a wobble ffs.

Neil Mcnab

Pep out, i believe there is a special manager available.

KunDB

Let’s not be Liverpool fans, believing we are invincible and with a God given right to win all before us. King season still ahead so remember that.

gavin

We never really looked likely to do it in that second half but I knew it was over when he brought Mahrez on.

Lekos

goat

Quote from: Lekos on December 22, 2018, 16:37:59
Frankly furious? Ran away with the League last season. Give your fucking head a wobble ffs.

cant be fucked reading his comment but im guessing if i say imagine if he supported the club more than 5 years ago it will fit well

lee

stones in midfield..looked shit

scousers no doubt lifting the trophy tonight..im sure we'll put it right..onwards up upwards

merry xmas everyone

ctid

KunDB

Happy Christmas all

Let’s look forward to finishing the job we should have finished at Anfield, beating Liverpool.

Roll on January

Rowley Birkin QC

Things not going our way at the moment. An element of good fortune about the first two Palace goals - and then we didn't possess the tools to bring it back. Too many key injuries. I always worry when David and Ferandinho aren't on the team sheet. Liverpool, on the other hand, seem to be living a charmed existence (for now).

zacc

Oops ah well City have set an amazingly high standard which means other teams will and have raised theirs.
City were never on it so fair play to Palace.
Watched Melbourne City v Melbourne Victors yesterday style of play reminded me of City teams of old  ;D

Paddy

Teams are getting wise to us and instead of sitting back and waiting for a break they are coming out and attacking us head on and thus putting us on the back foot and limiting our attacking play. today if we had played a full strength team we could (should) have put the game to bed early on. Bad choices by the manager ( total disrespect for the opposition) culminated in a deserved trouncing. Mid field was totally overran. Why was KDB not an obvious replacement for Ferdindiho. Beggers believe that he didn't start and was detrimental in the loss. Totally disgusted in an outcome that could have been avoided (Should have been)….

Rowley Birkin QC

I'm not convinced KdB was an "obvious" replacement for Ferandinho - two players that perform very different roles. KdB for Gundogan might have been a better idea?

I was struck, not for the first time, that for all our much vaunted wealth etc, our squad lacks true depth in certain positions. Central holding midfield has been a recurring problem at City - going all the way back to our failure to adequately replace Nigel De Jong for an entire season (which cost us a successful defence of our 2012 Premiership IMO). The arrival of Fernandinho finally rectified that omission, but we've never really fostered a decent under-study to cover for him. I suppose Delph is in the ball park, but in truth, while he's a good utility player, he's not in Dinho's class. I thought that was glaringly obvious yesterday. And Stones as a make-shift defensive mid? Er... no. 

The other - much simpler equation - is that this City team needs at least one of either David Silva or KdB (or preferably both) playing at the top of their game - to really click. Silva injured, KdB looking rusty (and not fully fit I think), + an injured Fernandinho = big trouble. Pep still has lots of pieces to move around the board, but to what effect when so much of the 'brains' are missing?

KunDB

John Stones in midfield was just stupid if not arrogant by Pep. Try that out in Carabao Cup against easier opposition maybe, then when he proves himself unleash in PL games.

Bad tactical mistake yesterday and did not help us tick, but whole team underperformed imo.

Rowley Birkin QC

The point I am trying to make is that I don't think Pep got a lot wrong with the team selection (considering what he realistically had to work with). The players just let him (and us) down.

KunDB

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on December 23, 2018, 12:31:51
The point I am trying to make is that I don't think Pep got a lot wrong with the team selection (considering what he realistically had to work with). The players just let him (and us) down.

That is correct the players did let him and us fans down on the day.

But playing Stones in midfield, while I can understand the thinking, was a tactical error by Pep which contributed to the poor performance and defeat. Mind I have the benefit of hindsight, which Pep doesn’t when selecting the team.