News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

City v Barca

Started by 93:2012, February 24, 2015, 18:45:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Zabba

Player sent off was a joke. Penalty was always coming we always crack in the end.

We were second best all round and did not work anywhere near hard enough as a team.

Pelle has to carry the blame entirely wrong set up and wrong choice of players. 442 was so obviously stupid even Pelle must havbe known that begs the obvious question did he feel compelled to play it.

He is also a pointless tinker man and has destroyed our defence.

Rowley Birkin QC

We were quicker and more positive in the second half and scored a very good goal - should have had at least another. Great save from Hart at the end.

Watching the first half, and considering how long we have had some of these players and the quality they supposedly represent, I continue to be puzzled by the lack of awareness they sometimes display, the poor anticipation, and how much time some of them need to dither with the ball at their feet.

At this level you get precious little time on the ball. You have to know where your team mates are (or going to be) and they have to work hard to find space to give you that outlet - and with that familiarity comes the quick passing game you need to take on the best opponents. There are times when our mob look like they've only known each other for 10 minutes!

Oh... and you have to be prepared to run a bit. And run hard. How many times tonight did we see Barcelona defenders and midfielders suddenly burst forward with runs that left our players surprised and trailing in their wake?

bry the guy

On a plus note i thought Dzeko worked harder and played better than he has in ages.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Ye felt sorry for dzeko. He won quiet a few headers but there was never anyone following up on them

Zabba

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on February 24, 2015, 22:01:00
We were quicker and more positive in the second half and scored a very good goal - should have had at least another. Great save from Hart at the end.

Watching the first half, and considering how long we have had some of these players and the quality they supposedly represent, I continue to be puzzled by the lack of awareness they sometimes display, the poor anticipation, and how much time some of them need to dither with the ball at their feet.

At this level you get precious little time on the ball. You have to know where your team mates are (or going to be) and they have to work hard to find space to give you that outlet - and with that familiarity comes the quick passing game you need to take on the best opponents. There are times when our mob look like they've only known each other for 10 minutes!

Oh... and you have to be prepared to run a bit. And run hard. How many times tonight did we see Barcelona defenders and midfielders suddenly burst forward with runs that left our players surprised and trailing in their wake?

I agree with most of that, just the first bit I do not entirely agree with. It is pointless being 'quicker and more positive in the second half' after having already thrown the game away with an inept first half performance. It means nothing.

We just did not work for each other as a team first half and how we were set up contributed 80% to that, players apathy the other 20%.

Oh you also forgot to place significant blame at Pelles door which he deserves.

Zabba

Quote from: Durk on February 24, 2015, 22:28:10
Ye felt sorry for dzeko. He won quiet a few headers but there was never anyone following up on them

I don't his headers were lame and ineffectual, his overall performance at best average.

Swiss

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on February 24, 2015, 22:01:00

Exactly. I've often thought we're a second half team. Which is so dangerous against better teams. Thought their first knocked us for the entire half.

gavin

Well I am quite happy, might sound odd after losing 2-1 at home but having played absolute shite in the first half, had a stupid sending off and given away a silly penalty - I'm glad still to be in the tie. We showed we can go there and win in the second half if we concentrate and press them for the entire game. We had the chances in the second half. We just can't afford to play a like a load of knobheads for a half and on a couple more occasions in the second again. It was a bad performance in many, many ways but we're still in it and showed that we can worry them.

reddishblue

Quote from: gavin on February 24, 2015, 22:56:22
Well I am quite happy, might sound odd after losing 2-1 at home but having played absolute shite in the first half, had a stupid sending off and given away a silly penalty - I'm glad still to be in the tie. We showed we can go there and win in the second half if we concentrate and press them for the entire game. We had the chances in the second half. We just can't afford to play a like a load of knobheads for a half and on a couple more occasions in the second again. It was a bad performance in many, many ways but we're still in it and showed that we can worry them.

Well said. Hope it upsets the miserable sods on here. You know who you are  :D

reddishblue

I would just like to add that Hart's distribution was again woeful. I't's like he cant see and then just decides to hoof it. Should get his eyes tested instead of having his hair done.

Tricky Trev

Quote from: Hesperus on February 24, 2015, 20:23:49
We are no closer to European elite than we were when we started. The transfer policy of the last two or three seasons must be seriously questioned. Huge changes are required for us to compete at this level in both playing staff and management.

Pretty much this. Also I find it hilarious to see De Jong mentioned so many times the past few weeks. I can't remember a single fuck giving a rats ass that he was given away for a pack of peanuts. Such disgraceful transfer policy the last few years by city. It's like a competition to see who can get the worse deal, while chelsea sell david luiz for a gazzilion dollars.

But by a miracle city is still somewhat in it, joke lucky city.

bry the guy

De Jong is being linked to the rags.

goat

Quote from: TrickyTrev on February 25, 2015, 00:35:47
Quote from: Hesperus on February 24, 2015, 20:23:49
We are no closer to European elite than we were when we started. The transfer policy of the last two or three seasons must be seriously questioned. Huge changes are required for us to compete at this level in both playing staff and management.

Pretty much this. Also I find it hilarious to see De Jong mentioned so many times the past few weeks. I can't remember a single fuck giving a rats ass that he was given away for a pack of peanuts. Such disgraceful transfer policy the last few years by city. It's like a competition to see who can get the worse deal, while chelsea sell david luiz for a gazzilion dollars.

youve been around as a member all of 5 minutes and this isnt the only place people talk city

if i remember right, the picture at the top of the old site was de jong holding the cup for a while

Lekos

I remember quite a lot of "fucks" on here that were quite disappointed he was allowed to leave.

Lekos

Quote from: TrickyTrev on February 25, 2015, 00:35:47

Have you found your way here via Red Cafe by any chance...?

zacc

First half gave them too much respect stood off them no idea why?!
Looked better second half still City can learn that their passing game's still got a long way to go !
Hope they learned a footballing lesson!

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Lekos on February 25, 2015, 05:46:45
I remember quite a lot of "fucks" on here that were quite disappointed he was allowed to leave.

Yes - I can remember muttering darkly on here about if they let De Jong go they'd better have a bloody good replacement lined up!

...and of course, they didn't...

I still maintain that our failure to significantly strengthen our central midfield that summer cost us the defence of our Championship to a very ordinary rag side. The situation was not adequately recovered until we signed Fernandinho.

Lekos

I thought we started well, and were 'OK' until their first goal.  That seemed to knock the wind out of us.  Still, better second half and hopefully can make a game of it in Spain.

bluebrendan

Let's face it, a central midfield partnership of Fernando and Milner against Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic with Messi dropping back at times was never going to end well was it? I still don't understand why Pellegrini can't see that going a man short in the middle against the likes of Barca is tantamount to surrendering the tie before it starts. We were far too open and it was more luck than judgement that we didn't end up losing by 2-5 or some similarly daft scoreline.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: bluebrendan on February 25, 2015, 08:36:33
Let's face it, a central midfield partnership of Fernando and Milner against Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic with Messi dropping back at times was never going to end well was it?

This is sadly true...