News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

All PL and FA cup games suspended until 4th April

Started by Hesperus, March 13, 2020, 12:32:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

Wonder how this is going to play out? Lots of questions as now they have suspended all games. They will not restart until it’s all out of the way and that could be 10-12 weeks apparently!  :o

gavin

Sensible thing would be to move the Euros back a year if they insist of finishing the leagues. Infection rate has apparently dropped considerably in China now.

KunDB

I wouldn’t like to be a bindipper fan. Don’t panic, don’t panic, STAY CALM. 

lee

Quote from: gavin on March 13, 2020, 12:53:14
Sensible thing would be to move the Euros back a year if they insist of finishing the leagues. Infection rate has apparently dropped considerably in China now.

I dont believe anything they say mate

KunDB

We could extend the season to get PL games played.

However, given Klopp and Liverpool’s concern over players health and safety (played junior team in FA Cup while players and managers holidayed in Dubai, or somewhere similar) I’ve no doubt that would be totally unacceptable to them on health and safety grounds.

Unless City and other teams were happy to field junior teams to complete PL games.

Neil Mcnab

Quote from: lee on March 13, 2020, 15:40:55
I dont believe anything they say mate
Totally agree, who knows what happens in China, it certainly isnt what they say it is.

Neil Mcnab

Quote from: Hesperus on March 13, 2020, 12:36:42
Wonder how this is going to play out? Lots of questions as now they have suspended all games. They will not restart until it’s all out of the way and that could be 10-12 weeks apparently!  :o
Thats the peak isnt it?

Neil Mcnab

Autumn till anywhere near back to normal. Schools closed for 3 months blah blah. Call the league as it is now. I like football, but think a lot more of family and friends. Whatever it takes.

KunDB

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on March 13, 2020, 16:14:31
Autumn till anywhere near back to normal. Schools closed for 3 months blah blah. Call the league as it is now. I like football, but think a lot more of family and friends. Whatever it takes.

Totally agree with family over footie, but its not as simple as call PL as it is.

What about relegated teams, teams narrowly missing out on Europe. Big financial consequences and some clubs may go bust. Doing that sure to ignite lengthy legal battles and understandably so.

Yes, jesting aside we could all agree Liverpool are just and fair winners of the Premier League, they deserve the trophy.

But would Utd be happy (5th) maybe missing out on CL next season when they are on a winning run and could very likely have grabbed a top four finish?

Would Sheffield Utd be happy finishing 7th (with a game in hand) when they could win their game in hand and be 5th; and maybe that would be enough to get them in to the CL next season. If they played the remainder of their games they might even finish top four.

Would Wovles be happy being so close (6th) but not getting into CL through being denied a sporting chance to do so by playing out the remainder of the season.

As for relegation. Would Norwich, Aston Villa and Bournemouth think it fair to relegate them without even a chance to play out their remaining fixtures to allow them to save themselves. Aston Villa also have a game in hand which if played and won could relegate Watford instead of them? Could that game be played, would it legally have to be played, or would all game week 29 results have to be cancelled to make it fair (what a nightmare).

Also, what about the three Championship teams that are in prime position to be promoted to the PL next season. If they are not promoted would that be fair.

Then there is Championship relegation and so on and so on.

I just do not think calling the PL all over now would be fair. All in all it is a nightmare and the PL know that and Im guessing there are no provisions in the rules for such an event (cutting the PL short).

Even awarding Liverpool the title and freezing everything else has big barriers to be overcome, there is no simple and maybe even fair option.

Neil Mcnab

KunDB. Yes Liverpool have won the league, I dont think it would be fair any other way. If the situation gets a bit better, I feel sure they will come up with something for top four, promotion and relegation. Play offs, bigger leagues for a year and the like. They will have to, otherwise will be in court for years.

Stephen Paul

I honestly dont think the league will finish as this virus could take 8 weeks to clear

Its what the PL decide to do to keep everyone happy is the question 

Paddy

Stephen Paul

gavin

The Champions League probably won't finish either so it should be those who finished in the top four 2018/19.

Stephen Paul

Its looking like the PL will not finish as schools etc are set to close for 6 weeks 

Stephen Paul

possibly play the games out behind closed doors

At least it will be back on the telly

KunDB

Playing games behind closed doors leaves players officials and other staff at risk.

Plus UEFA want to coordinate the response if leagues across Europe so PL clubs may not have the deciding choice. 

Envisaged that this virus could last to Spring 2021.

Voiding league may be only option

Gareth

A couple more things that might be problems.

• summer transfer window opens on June10. May be more complicated than just changing or cancelling it, if players have already agreed deals.
  • player contracts usually end on June 30. What then, for players who are out of contract? Has David Silva already played his last game for us?
You might say, it’ll all be ok; but I bet there’s agents and lawyers out there who see a business opportunity.

Neil Mcnab

Good news, bad news, any news, always business opportunities.