News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Three Exceptional Signings

Started by KunDB, August 18, 2020, 14:04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8638735/Pep-Guardiolas-Man-City-need-three-big-signings-win-Champions-League-says-Xavi.html   

I agree with Xavi comments in this article. We need three exceptional signings this Summer.

Good as we are, and we are good, we lack top class players in key areas of the team.

We are too reliant on Aguero up front, Jesus is good but not played as an out and out sniper striker (which he is best suited for) by Pep.

We need a leader at centre back to partner Laporte, a replacement for VK and preferably a leader as good as VK.

We also need a midfield replacement for David Silva, not Foden he is excellent but not a straight DS replacement.

This is on top of Ake and Torres signings.

I’m not talking very good players I’m talking about the very best players in these positions that are available.

Surely there must be money must be in the bank after some quiet transfer windows to splash out, offset by the sale of some current players.

gavin

I'd focus on the defence mainly but another striker would be handy. I remember KK saying that you need four strikers. Okay, he was greedy but I don think three would be good. Particularly as Jesus has shown how useful he can be on the left. I think we have enough midfielders. I reckon that is Bernard's best position. Then we have KDB and Foden ,as well as Gundogan - who is better further forward for me.

KunDB

I think Gundogan is a very good player but a misfit in the City team.

93:2012

Kun is a legend but now too prone to injury to rely upon. Jesus is just not of the quality needed to replace Kun when he is injuries.

So another striker is needed imo to provide competition and insurance for injury. Kane would be nice but unlikely.

silvablue

While defence is the obvious Achilles heel we simply have not been clinical enough upfront. So an additional top notch striker is needed at the very least to shake things up.

Swiss

you are right, for all the chances we create, we seem to waste a hell of a lot. There must be a stat somewhere....

Swiss

I'm glad you asked Swiss.

For the 19/20 season City had...

Shots: 745
Shots on Target: 266
Accuracy: 36%
Scored: 102
Goals to total shots ratio: 14%
Goals to shots on target: 38%

Swiss

Did someone just say, how does that compare to our contemporaries?

Well I'm also glad you asked.

Liverpool
Shots: 591
Shots on Target: 231
Accuracy: 39%
Scored: 85
Goals to total shots ratio: 14%
Goals to shots on target: 37%

Chelsea
Shots: 625
Shots on Target: 223
Accuracy: 36%
Scored: 69
Goals to total shots ratio: 11%
Goals to shots on target: 31%

Man Utd
Shots: 544
Shots on Target: 216
Accuracy: 40%
Scored: 66
Goals to total shots ratio: 12%
Goals to shots on target: 30%

gavin

Not nearly as bad as I thought then overall.

Swiss

Fine margins.  You can guesstimate that if City could up their accuracy to match Utd at 40% then...

Total shots: 745
40% = 298

Then use the highest goals to shots on target %: 38%

Thats 114 goals. An additional 12 goals and all of a sudden, those losses and draws could turn out differently.

Of course, the defence and midfield is the main culprit for shipping goals.

Rowley Birkin QC

Some quality stat-ing from Swiss there.

I'd leave the attacking midfield as it is. Foden has to step up into Silva's boots now. He may never be quite as good as David, but I see no reason why (if he continues to develop) Foden can't get pretty damn close.

Resources have to be concentrated on defence and central holding / defensive midfield. And with his advancing years, we have to find the next Aguero.

How hard can it be... ?

Paddy

I think that the team is unbalanced due to Peps ideas of having too many midfielders. We need an out and out striker not midfielders forced into that position. "Jimmy Greaves" and "Dave Watson" as a five those  r the types we need!!!...

Paddy

Mind, when i ponder on it; probably most of Jimmy's goal would be deemed off side today...lol

Swiss

I like the current tqctics paddy.

But do think we need a better option than gundog in mid.

Time to bring back Claudio Gomes to learn from Fernandinho  for a season.

KunDB

Love those stories as to Swiss. Surprised me.

Swiss

I talk to myself more often these days...

Swiss

My (4) signings of choice.

LB - Reguilon
CB - Pau Torres
RB - James Justin
FW - Jason Sancho
ST - Bret Haaland

Probably the best part of £500m right there