News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

I have never been a European footy fan

Started by Stephen Paul, May 21, 2021, 09:25:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Paul

But is the Champions league final the biggest game in the clubs history?

gavin

I'd say the biggest game in the club's history was the Play Off final in 1999. A week on Saturday will be one of the biggest but I think we will win the Champions League in the next few years regardless.

Stephen Paul

The play off final was the most emotional game I have experienced with winning th Premier league a close second

Not quite sure what the Champions league will bring if we win it

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Ye like Gav said, the 99 play off was the biggest cos we could have gone under if we had lost.

In modern times, there was the win against spuds that got us top four for the first time which was a huge achievement in itself, the FA Cup final against Stoke broke the long wait for silverware, the QPR win really put us on the map and gave us the foundation to really build for the decade that followed.

We've been chasing the European Cup for years now and it's always seemed like the nerves have gotten to us which has been our down fall. This year there's a new confidence and maturity about the team which I think will really break our duct and I can genuinely see us dominating Europe for the foreseeable future, as we have in the league.

I've always loved the European Cup. My birthday is in May so there's been times when the final has fallen on me birthday and growing up I always went out of my way to watch the final, even when City would never had have been dreamt to even be involved! I'm now aware that it is all advertising bollocks but I really bought into the romance of it all. Watching the European giants do battle in the biggest tournament in the world on ITV such as Juventus, Milan, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Inter, then there's the under dogs who defied all odds such as Dortmund, Porto and Marseille. Even, dare I say, seeing the rags, dippers and Chelsea on those Europe nights was a sight to behold, even though I cheered on whoever they were up against!

Having said all that though, and although I am equally excited and nervous for the final, I just feel that this year has been downplayed. There's hardly been any mention of it, which is sad in one respect, but in another way just shows how much we are dispised by the footballing body as well as the media.

Or is all just my imagination?

Na!

gavin

Not your imagination. The hype would be amazing if it were rags v scousers not City v Chelsea.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Yep. But even when Chelsea have been in finals it's never been this quiet!!

Stephen Paul

It's sad the way the media still revolve round the rags and dippers

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Very sad. Even if they are out to get City, its a great advert for English football!

But, nope!

KunDB

This is the final significant step up the football ladder, winning the top trophy The Champions League, just guarantees City place at the top of world football. Spikes all the attempts since the takeover to prevent this happening.

So, while I have for years despised UEFA, the European Clubs Association and the football manipulators (Andrea Agnelli, Ed Woodward, Peter Moore etc.) from Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and co who have sought to make football a closed shop (long before and separate to the ESL) through changes to UEFA competition rules like the most recent changes to provide places for favored clubs to qualify for the CL even if they fail to do so through their own league, I am desperate for us to win it this year.

Once won it becomes part of our history and makes us more appealing to a global fan base and better protected from attacks by our envious competitors and media. 

jingoe

Just been notified that me and my lad have tickets for the final! Come on City and thank you Sheikh Mansoor!

Stephen Paul

lee

Quote from: jingoe on May 21, 2021, 16:33:47
Just been notified that me and my lad have tickets for the final! Come on City and thank you Sheikh Mansoor!

Awesome..Please share some pics

bluebrendan

Quote from: jingoe on May 21, 2021, 16:33:47
Nice one, enjoy!

I dropped out of the midweek Cup schemes for 19/20 because I knew I'd struggle to make midweek games. Not sure I'd have paid £386 or £515 for a ticket though!!

Paddy

If you've got it and can afford to spend it then go for it and enjoy