News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

football cancelled

Started by gavin, September 09, 2022, 11:53:08

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Cancelled for a very old woman dying. Fucking ridiculous.

Stephen Paul

Don't agree with the football being cancelled  A woman who ruled for 70 years would have wanted things to go ahead

lee

Football supporters could have showed their respect from the terraces over the weekend for the Queen.What a missed opportunity and a massive balls up from the powers that be.People have spent money and organised travel and accommodation this weekend.

Cunts!!

Victoria

I don't understand the need to cancel sport for her death. Our lives continue! This is an example why the monarchy and establishment should go! The Royal family are an out dated institution and seen by many as a symbol of British colonialism.
I come from a long line of anti-royals. Over the years I have come to see why my extended family think this way.

lee

Quote from: Victoria on September 09, 2022, 21:04:22
I don't understand the need to cancel sport for her death. Our lives continue! This is an example why the monarchy and establishment should go! The Royal family are an out dated institution and seen by many as a symbol of British colonialism.
I come from a long line of anti-royals. Over the years I have come to see why my extended family think this way.

Show some respect

gavin

I also think that royalty should be abolished. It is a pointless anachronism that symbolises the worst parts of Britain - that privilege and the power of wealth are embedded. I have zero respect for them.

However, this thread isn't about that. It is about the fact then when even the government agrees that it is okay to play on, the Premier League deems that it will cancel football. Which just goes to show that they have no respect at all for football fans who make arrangements to go to their matches. Shame on the Premier League.

Stephen Paul

As much as I disagree with sport being cancelled she was a remarkable woman who will be missed

Victoria

It's not a question of respect or the fact some people see her as a remarkable person.Its a question of the sport should not be canceled as a sign of respect due to her death. There are more ways sport can show respect without canceling games. Arsenal's game was not cancelled nor was the 'Rag bastards' game yesterday. So why cancel a whole football program? That is not not showing respect to us fans. All it does long term is add to a congested fixture list. In addition, the cricket is resuming on Saturday. So why can't the football games be played?

lee

It's cancelled,get over it and move on.
Im not fan personally of the royal family but when such an iconic figure as QE2 passes then it is a watershed moment for many.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The thing is Lee, life does go on. There are many people who respect that she is an important figure but aren't interested in the Royal family at all. I was looking forward to the weekends footy, and my sons under 14 season was due to start on Sunday, but that's all been cancelled because this lady has died. I just don't see why Joe publics life should come to a halt because of that.

KunDB

Whether a loyal Royalist or a Republican should not matter.

However, the lurking suspicion & fear is that the round of games were cancelled for fear of disrespect from some elements of the terraces (which might undermine to some extent the establishment messaging to the nation).

The fact is most other sports (golf, rugby, cricket) carried on and it is grossly unfair on those supporters who are out a fortune and massively disappointed as a consequence of this imo wrong decision.

Once again the fans opinion was simply disregarded.

Small p - political point of sorts of my observation/opinion (right or wrong who knows?):

What was also imho laughable & lamentable, in a so called free open information society and democracy, was the pretence the Queen was not deceased from 12.30pm, when the PM & commons were imo informed that the Queen had sadly passed away, until the 6.30pm official Palace announcement.

If she wasn't deceased around this time (circa shortly after midday) why were the news presenters suddenly wearing black outfits and black ties long before the official announcement which just said regarding time of death 'this afternoon'? And why have we not been told the official time of Her Majesty's death at any point since?

It all felt & feels a tiny bit like being in North Korea or Russia with collaborative media outlets pouring out establishment misinformation.to it's loyal subjects.

Finally R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth 11.

bbk

Next PL game will likely be the Derby!

lee

Quote from: The Blue Blooded Maniac on September 10, 2022, 07:48:49
The thing is Lee, life does go on. There are many people who respect that she is an important figure but aren't interested in the Royal family at all. I was looking forward to the weekends footy, and my sons under 14 season was due to start on Sunday, but that's all been cancelled because this lady has died. I just don't see why Joe publics life should come to a halt because of that.

Life does go on yeh..We'll all be moaning about something else next week.Hopefully it wont be City.

KunDB

Back on this weekend except for three games:

Chelsea-Liverpool,
Man Utd-Leeds
Brighton-Palace

"Following extensive consultation with clubs, police, local safety advisory groups and other relevant authorities, there was no other option but to postpone the three fixtures," said a Premier League statement.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: KunDB on September 12, 2022, 20:59:14
Back on this weekend except for three games:

Chelsea-Liverpool,
Man Utd-Leeds
Brighton-Palace

"Following extensive consultation with clubs, police, local safety advisory groups and other relevant authorities, there was no other option but to postpone the three fixtures," said a Premier League statement.

So some southern clubs still postponed. Gotcha.

gavin

At least the City game is on. Not having another extra game later in the season could be a help.

lee

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: lee on September 12, 2022, 22:54:05
Nice dig at the rags  :)

It's not hard to do these days is it mate ;)

Gareth

Quote from: gavin on September 12, 2022, 21:25:34
At least the City game is on. Not having another extra game later in the season could be a help.

Our extra game later in the season might be away vs Arsenal if they call that off to fit in Arsenal's postponed Europa game vs PSV. Hopefully not, but it's possible.

KunDB

Quote from: Gareth on September 13, 2022, 09:59:25
Our extra game later in the season might be away vs Arsenal if they call that off to fit in Arsenal's postponed Europa game vs PSV. Hopefully not, but it's possible.

Gareth yo are to blame.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-postponed-premier-league-25013391

Premier League issues statement as Arsenal vs Man City postponed

Man City were scheduled to face Arsenal on Wednesday 19 October but that game has been postponed in order to make room for Arsenal's Europa League match against PSV Eindhoven.