News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

at Madrid

Started by gavin, May 04, 2016, 19:35:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludo

To be honest I'd have taken getting thrashed if we'd at least had a go.

Swiss

Reckon atletico might win it, real don't look great overall.

Our attack needed more support to be effective

lee

Quote from: Zabba on May 04, 2016, 22:21:43
Just my thoughts a team regressed under Pelle. One of tHe best strikers in the world running around like a headless chicken most of the time frantically trying to create chances for himself, while many of his teammates mentally chill on the beach. Says it all.

headless chicken!!
i didnt see a headless chicken..i seen a striker dropping deep trying to get into the game and being very very patient waiting for some service that never came..sergio is one of the best strikers in the world agree..but he's not headless chicken material!!

Rowley Birkin QC

Chris Waddle has just said this on the BBC -

"It's no disgrace at all, losing to Real Madrid, it’s just the manner of the defeat. People were expecting more energy, more creativity and tempo in their performance. Manchester City should have asked Madrid the questions they don’t get asked in La Liga."

Seems about right.

KunDB

Quote from: lee on May 04, 2016, 22:32:28
headless chicken!!
i didnt see a headless chicken..i seen a striker dropping deep trying to get into the game and being very very patient waiting for some service that never came..sergio is one of the best strikers in the world agree..but he's not headless chicken material!!

So we agree, I described him as headless chicken because he was wasting his time. All down to team set up and lack of team mates endeavour. Aguero is the shining light in this team but without support he might as well be a headless chicken. It has happened game after game this season he gives 100% up front but gets no team support. Time and time again. 

Btw if you chop the head of a chicken it keeps running around - Aguero just like that never stops running around no matter what.

That said how Pelle can allow him to drop so deep and wide at times without taking action is unbelievable.

Ludo

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on May 04, 2016, 22:34:52

"It's no disgrace at all, losing to Real Madrid, it’s just the manner of the defeat. People were expecting more energy, more creativity and tempo in their performance. Manchester City should have asked Madrid the questions they don’t get asked in La Liga."

Seems about right.

That just about sums it up; if we'd have given it a lash and got beaten 3-0 I'd feel better than I do after that completely insipid performance.

Swiss

Quote from: Zabba on May 04, 2016, 22:39:33
So we agree, I described him as headless chicken because he was wasting his time. All down to team set up and lack of team mates endeavour. Aguero is the shining light in this team but without support he might as well be a headless chicken. It has happened game after game this season he gives 100% up front but gets no team support. Time and time again. 

Btw if you chop the head of a chicken it keeps running around - Aguero just like that never stops running around no matter what.

That said how Pelle can allow him to drop so deep and wide at times without taking action is unbelievable.

It's actually not a bad tactic for the striker to drop deep (Or into other spaces), but the rest of the players need to be on the same page.
Striker drops deep, brings out the CB, Midfield runners out wide stretch the FB's, CM Runners move past striker (& hope the opposition CM aren't tracking back or causing confusion between CB & CM as to who's picking him up), Striker then acts as a pivot for some one two's. All of a sudden you've stretched the defence causing gaps to open up.

This requires work on formations and drills in training. From what I've read about Pelle, he doesn't do formations, prefers more of a fluid team. Which seems to have fucked us up basically. No one knows what positions they should be in.

You can liken it to a colony of ants. The Queen controls the ants, if she's bat shit crazy, they'll all be sniffing margarita's out of Rowley's naval!

We have no "Queen" & we also have no generals on the pitch when Kompany & Zab are missing.

goat

betting statting than tone

Rowley Birkin QC

This makes for depressing viewing though. One of the best strikers in the world and Aguero can't get a touch inside Real Madrid's penalty area  :(

goat

pretty  grim that, just shows how little help he had last  night

Hesperus

I thought when Nacho came on that Aguero would get more space because up to that point Ramos and Pepe had done a number on him. Instead either by frustration or by managerial tactics he dropped into midfield leaving Nacho isolated up front. There was at least two or three occasions in the last 20 mins that we had the opportunity to put in an early ball but only Nacho was in the box (surrounded). I agree with Gavin, we needed to keep it tight and stay in the tie but when you have to score, on 70 mins, you have to throw a bit of caution to the wind and give it a go. We never did. Whimper is the correct word. I really disappointed this morning. I fear for the next two games and our place in the CL next year. We need a good summer in the transfer window and not being in the CL will harm that.

Rowley Birkin QC

Yes - you'd like to think we'll focus now and make amends at the weekend, but I'm more than a little worried this is all going to end with a long drawn out whimper.

ebm1991

with Pep at least if we go out in CL we will go out fighting. Bayern lost but lost trying.
yesterday was a joke. even spanish press can't believe we did not give it a go!

bluebrendan

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on May 04, 2016, 22:34:52

Seems about right.
Yes, can't argue with Waddle's assessment, the killer for me was just after their keeper took a knock at the beginning of stoppage time we spent a minute passing it sideways on the halfway line!!

As said Silva was a big miss in terms of retaining possession in attack, KdB's passing was poor in both games.

Pellegrini once again showed that he has no plan B when we have to come from behind, he's as bad as Hughes in that regard.

Neil Mcnab

We played with 9 outfield players, until Toure went off. Not likely to beat Real Madrid like that. Recently he has arrived a moment after where the ball had been. This time he was getting to where the ball had been seconds before, cringeworthy.

We seemed to do little different for the last fifteen minutes, when we knew we had to score. Where was the plan? The disappointment is more because the opposition front players were not all that on the night. Modric was superb in the midfield and thats where the big money should go in the summer, with two coming in there. 

lee

i thought isco was tip top as well

Swiss

For how bad we were, I don't think Real were that great.

Also, everyone mocks our defence, but it's CM where we lose games. the two F's and the couldn't give an F!

goat

fernandinho is fine and for what he does fernando is actually  servicable

problem comes when fernando has  to  move to cover the massive holes  left by yaya crawling back

read arsenal are willing to sell ramsey,  he  would be a good fit in midfield

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The last 8 or so games (before the Soton game) the two F's and the defense was doing pretty well but it is obviously too defensive and takes away attacking bodies. It's a problem we have had since.........De Jong left!

Swiss

Quote from: goat on May 06, 2016, 21:20:44
fernandinho is fine and for what he does fernando is actually  servicable

problem comes when fernando has  to  move to cover the massive holes  left by yaya crawling back

read arsenal are willing to sell ramsey,  he  would be a good fit in midfield

'Dinho is ok but there are better out there for what he offers.
Nando is one dimensional and not that good at it.

Niether offer the movement, creativity or drive that we need.