News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

eu, in or out

Started by goat, May 30, 2016, 12:59:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowley Birkin QC

lee

Quote from: Ludo on June 03, 2016, 14:42:07
That's the point lee you're not being ruled by Brussels not matter what you think or are told. The vast majority of Britain's laws are made in Britain, overseen and passed by an unelected House of Lords.

The five leading heads in the EU? Depends on what you think of as the EU, do you mean the 5 leading heads of state, 5 MEPs or 5 members of the EU commission. I couldn't name 5 members of the current cabinet to be honest

As for immigration not being a central tranche of the Brexit group you've been asleep for the past few months.

no im wide awake pal...im voting out because i think we can prosper better on our own like the swiss who leave us in their wake when it comes to trading with the outside world..i run a business and a very successful one at that and i know i can make more money without being tied to the eu..i dont give a fuck about how many muslims,irish,poles  arrive..its not about that for some of us...your painting me with the same brush as the lot who are obsessed with immigration..im not pal so get yr fuckin facts right

goat

been hanging out with hucknall and collins too much mate

lee

nah they dont do any dwugs them 2 clowns  :D

goat

little warning, on about the  swiss there....norway isnt in e.u and  its pricey as fuck, boring as fuck and the people are  cunts

lee

yeh i had my suspisions about tony

Rowley Birkin QC

I've no doubt Lee knows what he's talking about when he says his particular business will be better off outside the EU, but I'm much less confident how the rest of (what's left of) the British economy will go.

The yanks have already made it clear that they will not negotiate a free trade agreement with an isolated UK - and what does Britain have left to sell anyway? Financial services? There's no guarantee that even that great generator of privileged wealth, the London financial sector, will stick around if they get a better offer to operate from out of somewhere like Frankfurt. 

lee

i guess the yanks will change their tune when trump becomes boss..was barry who said all that shit anyway ken

Ludo

I run my own business as well and, without getting all sweary and personal, it's benefitted from EU legislation.

Switerland may not be the best analogy given its relatively small population and a banking sector that accounts for well over 10% of its GDP. Even with that in mind Swiss exports into the EU are subject to the same regulations and standards that would apply to British exports.

bluebrendan

As Ludo says, Switzerland and Norway, in order to trade freely with the EU without being members, have to implement a substantial chunk of the EU regulations without having much say in how those regulations are worded, unlike member states who can debate them in the EU parliament or in the Council of Europe. They also have to accept free movement of labour which is why it was amusing to hear Brexit using them as examples of how the UK could operate outside the EU. Norway has a higher level of EU immigration than the UK.

Aside from my dislike of some of the figureheads of Brexit the most annoying aspect has been their attempt to make such an important decision into a single-issue debate about immigration when the economic impact should be at the forefront of debates.

reddishblue

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on June 02, 2016, 23:44:26
A few well placed Google searches will tell you about some of the things Kinnock achieved while at the EU.

For example - he oversaw the difficult restructuring of EU official pay scales to reduce wages and over generous pension plans. Thus cutting costs...

This made him unpopular within the EU but he was implementing a policy dictated to him the member states via the Council. Accountability in the EU? Well fancy that.

The salaries within the EU are still extortionate. So a fail for me.

lee

Quote from: Ludo on June 03, 2016, 16:55:32
I run my own business as well and, without getting all sweary and personal, it's benefitted from EU legislation.

Switerland may not be the best analogy given its relatively small population and a banking sector that accounts for well over 10% of its GDP. Even with that in mind Swiss exports into the EU are subject to the same regulations and standards that would apply to British exports.

bravo bravo....

Ludo

Quote from: reddishblue on June 03, 2016, 20:36:43
The salaries within the EU are still extortionate. So a fail for me.

An MEP probably earns as much in a year as Yaya earns in 3-4 days.

Ludo

lee

Quote from: Ludo on June 03, 2016, 21:35:19
Damned, with faint praise.

hardly..im taking the piss

nimrod

Quote from: lee on June 03, 2016, 15:44:52
no im wide awake pal...im voting out because i think we can prosper better on our own like the swiss who leave us in their wake when it comes to trading with the outside world..i run a business and a very successful one at that and i know i can make more money without being tied to the eu..i dont give a fuck about how many muslims,irish,poles  arrive..its not about that for some of us...your painting me with the same brush as the lot who are obsessed with immigration..im not pal so get yr fuckin facts right

your wasting your breath lee,  the Ludo brand of tunnel vision syndrome see's us all as this

could be swapped with Nigel Farage of course

Ludo

Quote from: lee on June 03, 2016, 21:36:31
hardly..im taking the piss

Ermmm.... I sorta guessed that.

Ludo

Quote from: nimrod on June 03, 2016, 21:47:53
your wasting your breath lee,  the Ludo brand of tunnel vision syndrome see's us all as this

could be swapped with Nigel Farage of course

Don't know why you're so bothered to be honest. You live in Australia and your kids and grandchildren will problem always live there. My vote to stay in isn't simply for me but for my kids and grandchildren.

As for the right wing analogy it's hardly a wild stretch of the imagination given some of the rhetoric of the Brexit political broadcasts and literature.

nimrod

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on June 03, 2016, 14:52:03
But you're not being ruled by a bunch of cunts in Brussels. All they do is add an extra layer of regulation and standards to existing member state laws. The only people ruling you lot are in Westminster.

Take the once appalling state of British beaches for example. EU regulation forced Britain to bring it's filthy beaches up to the same standards as the rest of Europe. 30 years on and people in Britain now take their clean beaches for granted - but they have the EU to thank for it.

fair enough Ken but if you google Britains dirtiest beaches its not pretty reading

(maybe less turds in Blackers)

reddishblue

No-one is allowed to take the piss on any of goats' threads. I got t bollocked for that.