News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

City v Gunners

Started by KunDB, December 18, 2016, 15:41:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludo

That depends on what you regard as 'bad'. The first half wasn't by any stretch of the imagination 'good' from a City point of view. I don't think we had a shot on target and some of our passing and decision making was poor, especially from Silva who I thought could quite easily have been subbed.

We got a slice of luck early in the second half with the goal and that, coupled with Arsenal's lethargy, gave us a foothold that thankfully we held on to. I think we played better against Chelsea, for long periods, and came away with nothing.

KunDB

The reason we won this match eventually was in large part down to having a manager who analyses games as they progress and makes proactive changes. Compare that to last season and Pellegriini's do nothing dead kipper approach.

First half we had good possession but no effect and no defence. Second half we had flowing movement and beautiful football and creativity to go with the domination of possession,

Paddy

The real reason we won was down to slack officials; two offside goals...But a result is a result

Hesperus

Quote from: Paddy on December 19, 2016, 10:40:29
The real reason we won was down to slack officials; two offside goals...But a result is a result

Are you for real?? 

First goal was at best marginal, maybe a toe offside. I wouldn't have complained if that was given against us and almost impossible to blame a ref for that.

2nd just was not offside under any interpretation of the law. Silva was nowhere near impeding the goalie and neither was he in his line of sight for the shot. Cech admitted as much in his interview.

Paul lakes knee

Quote from: Tori on December 18, 2016, 16:07:00
Get rid of pep now! He is out of his depth in this league
Oh dear- I see you're still an empty vessel

Victoria

Quote from: Paul lakes knee on December 19, 2016, 11:56:53
Oh dear- I see you're still an empty vessel

Far from it, I have no faith in this man, if City lost yesterday there would be more people having concerns about Peps management style and tactics. Pep finally changed his way for the second half and looked what happened: City made Arsenal look second rate, Pep has to stop playing with this team and start putting out his strongest squad and stop playing out from the back, which he did yesterday. I shall hold back judgement on Pep until the summer, but I am far from being impressed so far.

Ludo

I have to admit I'm not 100% sure about Pep either.

There are times when he does look like he's not sure which way to turn and some of his team selections leave me at least, bewildered. There's no doubt that yesterday we had a decent amount of possession and in the second half we used it better, but we did get a slice or two of luck with the goals. Sane was offside, no ifs, no buts, he was and the linesman missed it. For the second Silva could quite easily have been flagged as he did attempt to get a touch. Perhaps after a transfer window or two when he's got a few of his own players in it might settle down but I can't say I'm filled with confidence at the minute.

KunDB

Quote from: Ludo on December 19, 2016, 16:43:42
I have to admit I'm not 100% sure about Pep either.

There are times when he does look like he's not sure which way to turn and some of his team selections leave me at least, bewildered. There's no doubt that yesterday we had a decent amount of possession and in the second half we used it better, but we did get a slice or two of luck with the goals. Sane was offside, no ifs, no buts, he was and the linesman missed it. For the second Silva could quite easily have been flagged as he did attempt to get a touch. Perhaps after a transfer window or two when he's got a few of his own players in it might settle down but I can't say I'm filled with confidence at the minute.

Are you Arse Whinger. No ifs no buts, you have to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking player and only a freeze frame and an artificial drawn line for TV indicated a half of a foot offside.

Sky are ruining football and filling fans full of shite. That and worse happens everyday every game 95% of which are not televised and not even queried. Sky did not go on about the offside decisions in the game that were not actually offside, seemingly they do not matter (or make good headlines/controversy). You take the rough with the smooth, called football.

It was a perfectly good footballing goal from superb football and disallowing it would have been ludicrous and spoiling football.

Oh, and what really matters is the best and deserved winners won the match.

The drawn line looks like it is drawn at a very slight angle rather than parallel, the reference points for checking edited out or blurred out. Also Sane is moving in rapidly (including offending foot) defender moving out rapidly and there is no guarantee line applies to exact moment of contact.

All in all its just Sky seeking controversy to talk endlessly about and Whinger seeking to distract from the fact Arsenal were deserved losers.

Victoria

Simply put: If that was a Rag-Bastard then there would be no issue with both goals: The media thrive on conflict and create conflict to sell their paper or TV show for commercials. They also take Joe public to be stupid, which we are not; those were good goals and rightly stood.

Ludo

He was offside. 1 foot, 6 inches, 3 yards, doesn't matter. Thankfully the linesman didn't give it.

As for the Sterling goal....a few seasons ago Newcastle had a similar goal disallowed against us because one one their players was deemed "offside" and we all said what a great job the officials did then. Can't run with the hare and hunt with hounds.

gavin

I thought Sane was offside at the match but looking at that picture you have to say it would be absolutely impossible for a Linesman to be sure and therefore he was as good as onside. Benefit of the doubt has to go to the attacker and in real time there has to be doubt on that. Silva was not in the line of sight of the keeper and therefore was not interfering according to the rules. Both legitimate goals.

We deserved the win. Pep will do a great job at City.

zacc

As a Utd supporter once said to me when they scored against City with close offside goal "if off side I'll take it"
that'll do me too. ;) Beginning to wonder if Paddy supports City? :-\
Think Tori we're all bit unsure about Pep but for me I think it's not being used to City playing this from the back style, which at times makes me cringe when it goes soooo wrong.
However we'd be a bit perplexed if Pep changed his philosophy totally he does admit EPL is new to him and he has to adapt.
As already said I do love his ability to read a game and change as needs be, whatever stage of the game, it showed second half v Arsenal.

Ludo

Quote from: gavin on December 19, 2016, 19:44:05
I thought Sane was offside at the match but looking at that picture you have to say it would be absolutely impossible for a Linesman to be sure

I agree and so if the linesman had given offside I'd have had no gripe with it. He didn't, we won, happy days.

Paul lakes knee

Quote from: Tori on December 19, 2016, 13:13:20
Far from it, I have no faith in this man, if City lost yesterday there would be more people having concerns about Peps management style and tactics. Pep finally changed his way for the second half and looked what happened: City made Arsenal look second rate, Pep has to stop playing with this team and start putting out his strongest squad and stop playing out from the back, which he did yesterday. I shall hold back judgement on Pep until the summer, but I am far from being impressed so far.
Did you have ANY faith in him when he won his first 10 matches in charge?

Neil Mcnab

It is natural to look at the game through blue specs, for me Arsenal were OK in the first half and dross in the second. Ozil was so lazy, disinterested, a disgrace. Their defence was hardly much better than ours on the day. It looked like Bould had put some rohypnol in their tea at half time. Sanchez didnt get a look in in the second half, though naturally never stopped running. I believe/hope he will be a  City player in the near future. His team did us a great favour. I am sure he was sickened by the attitude of a lot of them.

So, for me it was as much Arsenal giving up, and allowing us to play.

If we rollover Liverpool, then we may have turned the corner.

Victoria

Quote from: Paul lakes knee on December 20, 2016, 08:26:16
Did you have ANY faith in him when he won his first 10 matches in charge?

no i did not, too much too soon, just a matter of time PEP would be found out and I was right. Last season City shot out of the gates and then screwed it up, same thing again: dejavu. Every game under Pep is dejavu; no change, until the second half against Arsenal. I shall keep an open mind about Pep, but for me; he has become disappointing with such hype he came with. Maybe it is my disappointment the problem here more than PEP.

Swiss

I don't think you actually watch the game!

Rowley Birkin QC

Currently I only get to view most games on a couple of days delay, but I try to watch them without too much hindsight or preconceived impressions based on what you lot post here!   :D

Have to agree with the opinion that we were the better team across BOTH halves. Not at our scintillating best in the first but we were far from "poor" as some have suggested. We were positive and inventive going forward, worked hard and I always thought we looked dangerous. Just one poor piece of defensive tracking cost us the early goal but otherwise Arsenal had little to offer and for the most part we controlled things well. After the break we found another gear and got the job done in some style.

I'm not too fussed about the debate around the offsides. They went our way - but there's plenty that haven't this season. These things have a habit of evening out. Wenger knows it's part and parcel of a game that is now measured in inches and half seconds and I'd have thought his energies would be better devoted to asking why his midfield went missing rather than complaining about borderline decisions.

I thought (with the suspensions) that this was an excellent City win, from a team under considerable pressure to deliver. And they did! 

shandon

I first saw the game on "arsenal tv" on fox sports and it was funny hearing the two gooner commentators getting more and more critical as the 2nd half progressed. They kept saying Arsenal didn't show up, hadn't got going after the break etc  :D

Victoria

Quote from: Swiss on December 20, 2016, 21:27:08
I don't think you actually watch the game!
you're right, I just sat in the west stand with my eyes closed. For the record, I shall be attending every home game until March with a few on-the-road games thrown in :)