News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Out of contract

Started by gavin, March 03, 2017, 22:20:23

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Yaya Toure, Pablo Zabaleta, Willy Caballero, Jesus Navas, Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy all have deals set to expire after the current campaign ends

http://wearehooligans.com/2017/03/03/manchester-city-contract-earn-stay/

Which of them if any would you be offering a contract to? And are there any you would be in a rush to? I reckon Pep is right to hang fire. It is clear that we need to seriously consider the full back positions in summer. The heart pulls for Zab but he isn't getting any younger and at times that has been apparent this season, great to see him get a goal midweek. Come summer I wouldn't be surprised to see them all leave.

Ludo

We certainly need a new keeper so I'd keep Willy and get rid of Bravo. I'd rather keep Zabs than Sagna, that might be out of sentiment (I think I'll cry when Zabs Leaves) but we need new full backs.

Yaya possibly.

Rowley Birkin QC

No room for sentiment I suppose, they should probably all go, but...  ... maybe Zabs, Clichy and Caballero might still have a shout.

Zabs might want a final pay-off somewhere with a decent length contract (and good luck to him), but if he wants to stay and doesn't mind less games as we bring someone new through, I'd happily offer him a 2 year contract. Still got plenty to offer, and a competent back-up for several positions. Maybe the same story with Clichy - assuming we have our usual problem snaring a top quality left back in the summer.

I think Caballero is a decent keeper (better distribution than either Hart or Bravo - and he makes the occasional save, which is more than Bravo can manage). I'd keep him.

Sagna has done all right for us, but too old (33? 34?) now to justify an extension, and I think most of us would agree that Navas hasn't been a total success.

Yaya has been great for us this season, in spite of all the "he won't play for Pep"warnings. He's certainly looked fitter this season, but the explosive runs seem to have gone and he will be 35 next season, going on 36. For the position he plays (which requires at least some mobility) surely this is his swan-song year with us?

goat

player coach deal for zab might be ok

Neil Mcnab

Keep none. Any back ups need legs, none of them are as quick as they were except Navas, who is only legs. Zabaleta is City through and through, but he might want a couple of years in Italy. Find him a role after that.
I dont rate Caballero. Compare our top two keepers to Chelsea, Begovic and Courtois.
I think two midfielders will come in replacing Toure and Fernando - if we can get shut of nando.

Swiss

Why would you keep Clichy Rowley?

Rowley Birkin QC

Only based on the impression that every season in recent years we seem to struggle to attract a decent left back.

I'm just saying I wouldn't rush Clichy out of the door until we know for definite we have acquired a suitable replacement. At which point - sure - call a taxi.

gavin

Yeh, peeps are all too quick to criticise and want rid before anyone better has been identified.

Swiss

In my opinion, he's only ever been average at best. His pace used to allow him to chase down the opposition when they got in behind, but thats going & he's never been a great contributer to assists or goals. I might be being overly negative, but he seems to give the ball away a lot in the final 3rd.

189 Apps, 3 goals & 11 asists.

So for me, even if we only pick up another average LB: they'll be younger, fitter and faster.

goat

as long as i remember weve always had wonky leftbacks since hincliffe

top 50 shittest players list would be full of them

gavin

Name 5 good left backs you'd have at city.

goat

jordi alba
david alaba
umm
paolo maldini

gavin

Will we be able to sign Alba or Alaba do you think?

Rowley Birkin QC

Get both - and watch the spelling fun begin...

zacc

goat

Quote from: gavin on March 08, 2017, 23:33:07
Will we be able to sign Alba or Alaba do you think?

you only asked who id take, ones at barca and other at bayern...no fuckin chance

Swiss

How's Alex Sandro getting on in Italy?

goat

at juve so probably enjoying getting pumped full of donkey hormones or whatever they get up to

Swiss

I thought you watched series a?