News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Evans

Started by Paddy, August 24, 2017, 22:07:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

What is his worth as a cb

goat

20 odd million if you ask west brom

nimrod

same as West Brom paid, 6 mill

bluebrendan

Quote from: Paddy on August 24, 2017, 22:07:05
What is his worth as a cb

3 points to the opposition?  :D

nimrod

Lekos

This tickled me on Twitter

On Jonny Evans...
Fergie played him
Mourhino says he would have kept him
Pep & Wenger want him
Yet Craig from Leamington Spa says he's shit.

Gareth

Quote from: Lekos on August 30, 2017, 09:35:45
This tickled me on Twitter

I do sometimes wonder what the elite-player level of fitba looks like through the eyeballs of those who manage at that level, because it's obviously quite different to what most people watching the same shit can see.

Lekos

Dissenting / unhappy / moany voices whine more, but I wouldn't say they are the 'most'.

Gareth

Quote from: Lekos on August 30, 2017, 13:34:06
Dissenting / unhappy / moany voices whine more, but I wouldn't say they are the 'most'.

No, really, dissent/unhappiness/moaning aside, I do think that top-level managers see a different game to the one that most of us watch. It isn't much on show when they are interviewed about a game, but maybe they are just concealing their craft.
I did once do some coaching badges, the courses were run by ex-pros, and they were so much more amazingly skillful than any of us that it was all a waste of time because we couldn't do any of the tricks they could, and they just wanted to coach individual skills, not how the game really works.

Lekos

Sure, when all you do all day every day, for every waking minute, is watch football, watch players, think about tactics, train players, etc etc at some point it must be like stepping into the matrix.

gavin

There's plenty of shit managers and plenty of good ones that bought and played plenty of shit players. I've seen more than my fair share of shit players and managers over the years. I think we generally underestimate though how shit most people are at their jobs. I deal with it all the time and unfortunately all too often it is my shitness. Though if I ever become as shit as the average prem referee then I will give up.

It is great that we generally have very good players these days, some are even great. Though even that doesn't seem good enough for moaning bastards like me a lot of the time.

Lekos

Quote from: gavin on August 30, 2017, 20:55:41
There's plenty of shit managers and plenty of good ones that bought and played plenty of shit players. I've seen more than my fair share of shit players and managers over the years.

Aye, very true.  There does seem to be a shit manager merry-go-round. 

Quote from: gavin on August 30, 2017, 20:55:41
Though if I ever become as shit as the average prem referee then I will give up.

Hahaha.

KunDB

We fans fund the mega football merry go round and the Managers, players and others big buck salaries so we have the right to moan.

I guess it's a game of opinions and Pep and Fergie clearly see qualities in Jonny Evans that we mere fans don't. If city win silverware and play entertaining footie I'm happy.

goat

Quote from: Zabba on August 30, 2017, 22:32:42
We fans fund the mega football merry go round

"I keep hearing the phrase 'fans pay the players' wages', but fans need to know gate receipts don't come anywhere near doing that."

says a former premier league chairman

nimrod

I think its an age thing
(Ive noticed goat moans more with every year that passes)  :D

And now with City being rich the expectation is higher, fans are even hungrier fir silverware, there are young guys on Bluemoon who would pay 150 million for Sanchez, "just give Arsenal whatever they want, the sheik makes that in an hour"

I had a job selling Cooling Towers in the 80's, I did many courses in negotiation, (since then Ive never paid full price for anything) :)

It kind of annoys me the way City buy their players, it goes against all I was taught, they've followed the same routine with most of their big buys, like Lescott, Stones, Sterling etc we announce (or leak to the press) that we want that player, the other club say he's not for sale,then we go on a several weeks of maybe making another bid or three, then eventually come D Day we are held to ransom by the selling club and we end up paying the asking price (or very near too). They make a mug of us.
Its a well trodden path for us, it s not a good way to operate, we will end up paying 90 million for Sanchez & Evans.

But then again as the young fan said on BM, the sheik makes that in an hour so who gives a fuck, maybe I have to get my head round that  ::).....and resist the urge to moan about it.

Lekos

Quote from: nimrod on August 31, 2017, 00:11:28
I think its an age thing
(Ive noticed goat moans more with every year that passes)  :D

Nah, he's always been a right old whining mare  ;D

Quote from: nimrod on August 31, 2017, 00:11:28
It kind of annoys me the way City buy their players, it goes against all I was taught, they've followed the same routine with most of their big buys, like Lescott, Stones, Sterling etc we announce (or leak to the press) that we want that player, the other club say he's not for sale,then we go on a several weeks of maybe making another bid or three, then eventually come D Day we are held to ransom by the selling club and we end up paying the asking price (or very near too). They make a mug of us.
Its a well trodden path for us, it s not a good way to operate, we will end up paying 90 million for Sanchez & Evans.

I understand what you're saying but as far as this summer has gone I don't think we've been held to ransom.  We paid the price required to get the deal done and out of the way.  We got our deals done reasonably early (6 players in) - it's just this Sanchez one that's dragging on.  Look at Spuds for example, scrambling around in the last two days, or Arsenal who can't seem to sign anyone.

KunDB

Quote from: goat on August 31, 2017, 00:06:08
"I keep hearing the phrase 'fans pay the players' wages', but fans need to know gate receipts don't come anywhere near doing that."

says a former premier league chairman

Yes, but that is not the main source of fans money; Advertising, TV money home and abroad from the stay at home fans, merchandise. In the end it is the fans money underlying all that. SKY and BT are not fools paying billions for TV rights, they know what it can generate for them and it is a lot more than they pay. Fans then pay it for their TV/Broadband/Phone Line/Calls etc.

Not up to date chart below but it gives you the idea:

goat

the story was from 2005, im guessing he factored in sky

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/02/sport.comment2

oh, he says tv money isnt all that either

Lekos

Quote from: goat on August 31, 2017, 12:37:32
the story was from 2005, im guessing he factored in sky

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/02/sport.comment2

oh, he says tv money isnt all that either

He said they got 13.5m for finishing 3rd from bottom in 2005. They'll get over 100m when they go down this year.

goat

'Why not redistribute TV money instead?' Because its significance has been vastly overblown

that bit

obviously a lot of clubs are desperate for any cash from anywhere but there are a fair few with owners flash enough to crack on without as much help