News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

The ashes

Started by nimrod, November 23, 2017, 21:46:26

Previous topic - Next topic

nimrod

Good 1st day for England, lets hope more confidence today
I'm off to The Gabba in an hour  :)

Lekos

I can't handle cricket...bores me to death. Having said that - have a great time and get pissed in the sun!

Hesperus

Facing a big l10 wicket oss in the first test. We kind of competed for a couple of days but our weakness in bowling and batting badly exposed today. We needed to step up for the 2nd test or this series could end up a 5-0 whitewash.

Hesperus

Day nighter test match starts in the early hours of tomorrow morning.  Not really got much confidence in England for this game.

gavin

I used to love staying up to watch the cricket. I wish I could still do it.

nimrod

We could do with the white Mike Tyson here.

Hesperus

Putting them in to bat was a bit of a left field decision. If we can nick Smith out today though we’ll be happy.

Rowley Birkin QC

England got the two wickets they needed (Warner and Smith) but the quicks (Anderson especially) bowled too short and outside off stump too often. Overton at least managed to find a line and length to trouble the Aussies.

Hesperus

How well we bowl with the new ball tomorrow morning could prove key. Woakes worries me, if he is rally one of the best we’ve got real problems.

Hesperus

At the end of the day. You win the toss and put the opposition in to bat, you need to be taking a lot of wickets. That didn’t happen today. Big call when you lost by 10 wickets in the first match.

Rowley Birkin QC

Some damning stats on Australian TV news this morning. Warner was able to leave 40% of the balls he faced, and for the first 13 overs England only managed to bowl one ball on the stumps! As you say Hesperus - if you decide to put an opponent into bat, you're supposed to make them play and get them out!

Hesperus

The Aussies have gone past 400. Root will be very disappointed wth his decision now.

I imagine they’ll put us in to bat today and have  an hour at us under the lights with a new ball..... and take about 3 wickets.

bluebrendan

Quote from: gavin on December 01, 2017, 22:33:52
I used to love staying up to watch the cricket. I wish I could still do it.
Lightweight!  Hopefully City's match is interesting or I may doze off in the stand.  :D

Aussies declare at 442-8, could be a lively last session for the England batsmen.

Hesperus

Difficult start for our openers. Come on lads, dig in. We need Cook to put an innings in.

Hesperus

Good fight back from the bowlers, but the Aussies missed a trick not enforcing the follow on.

History suggests there is zero chance we reach the target unfortunately.

nimrod

Quote from: Hesperus on December 05, 2017, 08:33:53
Good fight back from the bowlers, but the Aussies missed a trick not enforcing the follow on.

History suggests there is zero chance we reach the target unfortunately.

They certainly did miss a trick and now look under pressure, need a big innings from Root

Hesperus

Well, records are there to be broken. So there is always a chance. Root will probably need to hold his bat to the very end though.

nimrod

Even if England lose, its shown they will not necessarily lose the tour 5-0, (as I thought)
There is fight in the old dog so to speak, ohh and the barmy army were fantastic in that last session.

Hesperus

Batsmen blown away this morning. I got a bit giddy yesterday and seriously thought about a 3am alarm call. Glad I didn't now. The Waca next up, where we last won in 1978.... 🤔

nimrod

Its about this time when I tell people here Im not really interested in cricket  :(