News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

World Travel thread

Started by Swiss, April 21, 2018, 20:30:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Swiss

I'm in Romania atm.

Got here, BA have lost my luggage. Only got 1 pair of pants, this could be an I interesting week. I'll stay away from the prunes.

Swiss

Still no news on me luggage. But picked up some pants you'll all be pleased to know.

Brasov in Romania is awesome. Recommend if you like medieval cities. English is widely spoken and they also speak French.

goat

surprised you need pants on your sex tour

Swiss

Gotta keep the under carriage free of klingons

They've found my luggage. Never left bloody london.

Food here ain't great. Think potato with potato

Lekos

I've been to Bucharest and Timisoara...both were excellent  food there was good too - very Bavarian.

I was also very very drunk.

reddishblue

Quote from: Swiss on April 22, 2018, 19:45:13
Gotta keep the under carriage free of klingons

They've found my luggage. Never left bloody london.

Food here ain't great. Think potato with potato

What are the odds on that?

Swiss

Oooooh

They reckon the tag fell off...

Swiss

Reunited with my pants at last! Case broken but hey!

Romania, Amazing. When I get back I'll try and upload some photos.

First day, Bucharest. Only spent the night here after a late arrival before moving on to Brasov for 2 days. We were in Z hotel, quite a modern hotel and there's a korean/Japanese supermarket outside for drinks and snacks, which brought back memories of last year. The location is great for town centre, we had a quick stroll around, but as we were fresh off the plane, were too tired for a big night out! Breakfast at Z's was in the sky lounge with 360 degree views of the city. Sounds  nicer than it was, but breakfast gave us a mixed European buffet before we left for Brasov.
On the way to Brasov we spent some time at Peles castle. This is not what the English would call a castle, more of German fantasy palace. There's some really nice woodwork inside and a decent collection of medieval armour/ weapons mostly in the German style. Next stop Brasov.
Brasov old town is a wonderful medieval town inside the main city.
Lots of terraced restaurants and bars inbetween centuries old churches, buildings and towers. The whole old town is walkable and has a cable car up to its own "holywood" sign for views across the city. On the opposite side there is a black tower and a white tower. I preferred the views on this side, but the cold town is big enough to do both.
Brasov is down as a must see in Romania and about 2 days should cover everything, but maybe consider longer for a slower pace.
We stayed at Casa Wagner. Great for location as the front door opens onto the main square of the old town, right into the heart of the restaurant and drinking district. The hotel's quaint interior with beams adds a country charm to the location. Modern shower room and toilet (No bath). I would book this hotel again, however the bed we had was really creaky. No other guest we spoke to had the same issue. (Room 37). The staff were really nice too. We got an uber to Rasnov fortress, about 12 Leu. A part ruined medieval fortress and well worth the 20 minute ride. No uber available on the way back so we had to work out the bus route... not as easy as you think at low tourist season.

Day 4 took us to 'the inn on Balaban' with a stop off at Bran castle. Bran is the most famous Dracula castle and lies on the border of Wallachia and Transylvania. A nice place that is said to have inspired Bram Stoker. You need only 1.5 hours to explore as it's not big, but there's opportunity to look around the markets underneath or take a bite at a restaurant. This is also reachable from Brasov if you intend to stay longer there.
But on to Balaban. And wow! The scenery is amazing and well worth the bumpy ride up the mountain. There's no facilities on the mountain but the lodge provided us with some bottled water and the 3 course dinner was yum. Traditional Romanian food. Coal cooked pork soup, chicken schnitzel with veg and some small cakes to finish. The room was lovely but there were no curtains, including the loo... but then, there was no other lodge nearby! An amazingly remote location but did I mention the views?
Breakfast was again a mix, yoghurt, jam, cheese, spicy sausage, scrambled egg, toast. You will not be hungry staying here!
Day 5 took us to Viscri. Said to be often visited by HRH Charles, Prince of Wales. A community largely untouched by time. Lots of horse and carts and extremely friendly people. There are shops, cafe's and a fortified church. We stayed at Viscri 125 which has really comfy rooms. Attentive staff and as the location is small, is really close to the fortified church which has some awesome views. It has a real family feel and again, a 3 course meal. Soup, pork masala and some really yum raspberry sponge cake.
We also took the time to visit the liberty bear sanctuary. There are 98 bears here, but as the park is so huge, we only saw 18. They rescue bear's from captivity and give them a peaceful home. So don't be a dick like some on our tour and respect the guide and the rules! It takes about an hour to walk around. The toilets could do with upgrading from portaloo's too.
I'll update more on what the next few days bring.

gavin

Blimey, he's like a cross between statto and Judith Chalmers  :)

I'm off to St David's in Wales this weekend. Not nearly as adventurous but great scenery all the same.

Swiss

Just seeing if people are interested in sharing their travel experiences. You or I might find somewhere that we think, yeah that sounds awesome. Feel free to ask me anything about the locations I've been to.

UK (not been to NI)

France
Spain
Mallorca
Rhodes
Australia
Germany
Canaries
Romania
Hungary
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Russia
Belgium
Poland
Netherlands
Denmark
China
S. Korea
Estonia
Portugal
Turkey
China
Hong Kong

reddishblue

Same question.

England
Wales
Scotland
France
Spain
Saudi Arabia
Italy
Libya
Sultanate of Oman
UAE
West Germany
Thailand
Malaysia
Holland
Portugal
Philippines
Hong Kong
Singapore
Indonesia
The Isle of Man
South Africa

Never been to Ireland. N or S.

Mallorca
Canaries
Tenerife

reddishblue

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Droylsden
Beswick
Gorton
Openshaw
Ashton

Lekos

BBM keeping it real. Much respect.

goat

The Blue Blooded Maniac

reddishblue

Quote from: The Blue Blooded Maniac on April 26, 2018, 06:23:20
Droylsden
Beswick
Gorton
Openshaw
Ashton

I was born in Droylesden and went to Openshaw Tech. What are the odds on that.

Swiss

Quote from: goat on April 26, 2018, 11:28:21
never been africa or oz

Oz isn't 'as bad as that thread suggests. If you're sensible, you'll be fine.
I wasn't sensible, I swam outside the flags and there was a 15ft  tiger shark spotted at that beach the day before... we thought it'd be fun until we got out there... fastest I ever swam back!

Lekos

Africa is pretty stunning with the odd weird bits.  Need a lot of patience to go there, especially if it's off your own back and not part of a tour group.  A simple trip to the bank can take a day.  I've been to Ghana and South Africa a couple of times, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Namibia and Kenya.

goat

Quote from: Swiss on April 28, 2018, 07:40:43
Oz isn't 'as bad as that thread suggests

you mean the one i started showing how bad  it is?

to be fair the main reason for no oz and africa is the weather, fuck that