News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

World Travel thread

Started by Swiss, April 21, 2018, 20:30:24

Previous topic - Next topic

goat

Quote from: nimrod on May 19, 2018, 17:11:01
Actually meant you and greeko 😁
Goat a bit past it now.

cant argue with that

zacc

Been to a few outside ol' Blighty wonder who on here was born outside UK ?
Few on here know we go to East Malaysia to avoid the worse winter weather, I mis-timed it this year getting back in time for both lots of snow flurries.
;)

reddishblue

In the Salford heatwave at the mo. Birchwood tomorrow.

reddishblue

Quote from: zacc on May 21, 2018, 10:45:55
Been to a few outside ol' Blighty wonder who on here was born outside UK ?
Few on here know we go to East Malaysia to avoid the worse winter weather, I mis-timed it this year getting back in time for both lots of snow flurries.
;)

My kids are half Malaysian, born in UK though, now in Oz. Mother from Malacca.

Devil curry.

reddishblue

Lived for a couple of years on Jalan Ayam Ayam in Shah Alam. Guy used to come by on Sunday nights with a BBQ on the back of a Honda 50. Most delicious chicken satay and we got to watch him speed away with sparks flying everywhere.

zacc

Quote from: reddishblue on May 22, 2018, 01:02:12
My kids are half Malaysian, born in UK though, now in Oz. Mother from Malacca.

Devil curry.

Pure coincidence my daughter-in-law is half Malaysian.

Quote from: reddishblue on May 22, 2018, 01:11:59
Lived for a couple of years on Jalan Ayam Ayam in Shah Alam. Guy used to come by on Sunday nights with a BBQ on the back of a Honda 50. Most delicious chicken satay and we got to watch him speed away with sparks flying everywhere.

Amusingly Jalan Ayam Ayam means chickens road so appropriate to have chicken satay,
as you say they are 'lish.

Antwan

I noticed that the old travel thread is way out dated here so I plan to create a new one. This 2018, I plan to visit Europe and Spain. For my summer holiday, I'm looking at Tenerife or Lanzarote.I came across this one article about the place here in https://www.canaryislandsinfo.co.uk/gran-canaria/things-to-do/doramas-park/ I've never been to either and apparently, the beaches are fantastic as well as being suitably 'different' to make it interesting. How about you guys? Any plans?

goat

europe and spain eh

can probably combine that into one trip

nimrod

Quote from: goat on May 26, 2018, 13:18:14
europe and spain eh

can probably combine that into one trip

;D

Swiss

Not sure the canaries can be considered in Europe either...

I'm off to Yorkshire in a few weeks. Going to that there Tommy Banks restaurant

nimrod

Sat in LAX now on way home
14 hour flight to Sydney

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: Swiss on May 27, 2018, 01:49:57
I'm off to Yorkshire in a few weeks. Going to that there Tommy Banks restaurant

What you doing round dem parts? Let us know how the restaurant is.

Swiss

Just having a  week chilling out with the GF. Which probably means a shit load of walking/cycling.

We're doing the 12 course taster menu. We did a 7 course a few weeks back and were stuffed so now thinking this wasn't the best idea...

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: Swiss on May 27, 2018, 10:24:13
We're doing the 12 course taster menu. We did a 7 course a few weeks back and were stuffed so now thinking this wasn't the best idea...

Noice, my missus is into all that, wherever we go we have to go to the biggest poshest restaurant.

Kilkenny Blue

Was working in PNG from 2012 for over 3 years.  Got to see loads of places but too wrecked most of the time to enjoy it.  10 flights a month there and back, sometimes would stop in Istanbul to unwind for a few days.  Got to spend time in OZ, Singapore, KL, Dubai, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Houston plus a few more that I can't remember.

So far have resisted offers to work on Doha, Saudi, Dubai and Madagascar of all places.  Company I work for now want me to work in the most backward, God forsaken backward country in the world for 6 months, but there's no way I'm moving to the US >:(

goat

could kip in terrys trailer

Swiss

Quote from: The Blue Blooded Maniac on May 27, 2018, 09:24:31
What you doing round dem parts? Let us know how the restaurant is.

Soz missed this. The restaurant was great. Not stuffy and up it'self, although they do tell you about every element of each dish.... but it's like sitting in a pub, with great food!

Yorkshirebleft a sour note on me as we had a car crash, some dozy bird pulled straight out on me from a Give way sign. Wrote off my car, months of pain too. Ah well.

Next post, Salzburg

Swiss

Just been to Salzburg.

I'm gonna start off with a travel trip. Make sure Celtic do not have a game in the same city as you're going too. Sweary, booze fuelled, local hating, casual racists, peace destroyers & noisy bastards. Grown men running up and down the corridors of hotels around 5am shouting "hey chuckle, chuckle chuckie" and "was it das"... joy!

On a happier note, Salzburg is awesome! Castles, medieval city, horse drawn carriage rides, cafes by the river, omnomnom restaurants, Mozart balls (chocolate), home of Mozart, hiking, art (give the modern art museum a miss, a bit too Tracey Emin to be called art. Also, the first exhibition we walked into was Nazi Swastikas...
Men wearing lederhosen walking around town was a bit weird...
Went to lake Hallstat which was awesome.
Walked around 40 miles in 4 days.

Another top tip, get a Salzburg card from the airport, 3 days around 40 euros. I'm gonna say free a lot, but I mean included with the card.
Generally everything is about 15 to 20 euros each, so you can work your money back easily.
You can then get on (some) busses for free, you just walk on them, don't need to show your card unless an inspector is on. Bus 10 will take you from airport to town centre. I find this an easy way to get around, or walk, our hotel was a 10, 15 min walk out of town, but lots are in centre.
Entry and use of the funnicular to the castle is free.
Helbrunn palace and gardens is free. Includes a fun tour of the trick water fountains.
The zoo is free.
There's a boat trip up the river, it's not particularly long, or amazing, but the ending is fun and it's free.
Entry to lots of museums, free.
Entry to catacombs, free (only â,¬2 otherwise, tiny, but worth the thigh work out!)

Meals out tend to be potato, pickled veg & either pork, beef or chicken.
Gabler brau was a really nice traditional austrian, relaxed and hearty restaurant. The house beer was awesome.
Mains tend to cost between 12 & 20 euros. Beer, just under â,¬5.
We also ate at a great korean place called hibiscus.

Tip to avoid, tour by panorama to lake hallstat, now the lake was amazing. Totally recommend going to see it.
But we paid â,¬50 each for an 1.5 hr each way bus ride, for 2 hours at the lake. Only to pay another â,¬14 euro up a funnicular, which took around 30 mins to sort, so in effect, we had an hour and a half there in such an amazing place. The 50 euros didn't cover any extras or food at anything. There was about 70 people on our bus and they run it twice a day... that's around £7k a day for a bus trip! Not sure how else to get there though

goat

switzerland and austria may as well fucking merge, same fucking place