News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Bin the group stages

Started by gavin, June 30, 2018, 20:29:23

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

This goes for the World Cup and the Chumps League. Too many shit games in the groups. Knock out football is where its at for these competitions. Keep the Premier League but the rest are just cup competitions at the end anyway.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

It's only going to get worst with more teams entering the finals in the world Cup and the euros.

The more teams, the more money. We all know that's what it's all about.

Lekos

As far as the World Cup goes....absolute tripe. The groups have been excellent this year (one or two games the exception).

It's been one of the best World Cups I can remember. Cracking stuff today as well.

Long may it continue...or until they make it 48 teams and kill it.

nimrod

What a pile of shite, England v Belgium, both play B teams, no-one really wants to win, very exciting..

Great planning and organisation

Lekos

Daft statement.  3 group games and sometimes it's just how the last match ends up.  Bad planning and organisation?  Hahah.  Ridiculous. 

This has been one of the best World Cups in my living memory.  There were 48 group games and if you chose to focus on the 4 / 5 bad ones that probably says a lot about you.  Miserable twats  ;D

Lekos

I'd also like to add both the matches yesterday were shite and they were knock out matches! 

bry the guy

Were just spoiled watching the great man city.

nimrod

Quote from: bry the guy on July 02, 2018, 10:42:45
Were just spoiled watching the great man city.

Could be right fake Bry, yawnfest.
Mind you enjoyed France v Argies knockout.

Lekos

Just admit you don't really like football Nimmers; it's fine.  You can stick to Oz eggball or something.

nimrod

Quote from: Lekos on July 02, 2018, 11:09:09
Just admit you don't really like football Nimmers; it's fine.  You can stick to Oz eggball or something.

Feckin Hell, whats crawled up your arse today ?

Lekos

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Come on now lads lets hug it out B=======D

nimrod

Quote from: The Blue Blooded Maniac on July 02, 2018, 14:22:55
Come on now lads lets hug it out B=======D

Not hugging you Pesto, all that Mayo  hahaha

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Rowley Birkin QC

Lekos is right. Fair amount of smelly stuff being talk in this topic.

Turning the whole thing into a knock-out tournament won't improve a thing. All the 'minnow' teams will do is just park the bus and play for penalties. There would be one or two upsets for everyone to crow about and claim "isn't it more exciting" but the percentage of shit house games will vastly increase as less talented sides, with only one shot at continuing, try to bore opponents to death.

As Lekos said, out of all the group games you generally only get about a handful that are really dreadful - or uninteresting dead rubbers on those odd occasions the group gets decided after round two. Only around 10%. This has been a good World Cup so far, with lots to enjoy. I seriously doubt nimmers has watched more than a handful of games - either that or he's been nodding off on his sofa.

Not so sure about how an extended tournament will go, but the current format is tried and tested and works reasonably well. Bad idea Gavin! Like you - I hate international football when it gets in the way of City games, but when it comes to World Cups - I climb on board.  :D

Paddy

Hope I am wrong but I think Belguim will win it

bry the guy

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Three of us wrong, fair play!

gavin

I found France a bit frustrating. Too much gamesmanship for me.