News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Takeover day

Started by The Blue Blooded Maniac, September 01, 2018, 16:36:04

Previous topic - Next topic

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Another good read from those who were involved and present on the day the Sheik took over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45256691

gavin

That day was very exciting but if I'd known how it would turn out I'd have been even more excited. Truth be told, I'd have been excited if I thought we would win a League Cup but it would make for a disappointing season these days.

Hesperus

Amazing day. I remember being transfixed by SSN all day, incredulous at what was going on.  Unbelievable turnaround in fortunes for our club.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

I just heard in the afternoon that we were after Berbatov from under the rags noses and that we had been took over.

Me and my cousin went down and me dad phoned to say he could see me on sky sports news nobbin about infront of the cameras and that we were after Robinho instead/aswell.

Like what's been mentioned, we had no idea of the mammoth size of this takeover and how much everything would change!

bluebrendan

I was a bit concerned at first seeing as Thaksin's takeover had turned out to be a false dawn, it was the Robinho/Berbatov saga later that day that convinced me we had serious intent. Crazy 10 years since then.

Good job the takeover had been sorted before they saw BBM's face on Sky.  ;D

goat

according to berbatov there was  no chance of him joining  city

nobody mentions villa or gomez anymore, both would have been more use than the stepover merchant

Neil Mcnab

Would they have bought us if Shiniwatra hadnt already moved us on a level? Is the part he had in the sale underplayed? We dodged a bullet with Kaka, who just went downhill.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: bluebrendan on September 02, 2018, 11:37:40
Good job the takeover had been sorted before they saw BBM's face on Sky.  ;D

WOOOO!

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on September 02, 2018, 20:27:55
We dodged a bullet with Kaka, who just went downhill.

Hmm I'm not sure about that. Madrid ruined him I reckon. Saying that, Hughes would have probably done the same!

Brazilians used to come and go in the PL due to them not enjoying the weather and getting home sick, there is a good amount in the league now who have been sticking a round a bit. Just an observation!

goat

injuries fucked him up, considering he was almost crippled he had a great career

just because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMWTcCTIjo

must be linked to the 10 year thing, four four two has a city feature with interviews with a few from the dark days

Neil Mcnab

Praying must have done him no good.

goat

you are on about the same bloke right?

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Think Neil means injury and Madrid wise.

Paul lakes knee

Spent most of the day on here and Bluemoon- IIRC it was one of Citymancs' posted in the Middle East who alerted us to a story on Arab News

goat

stevie always has his finger on the pulse

gavin

Now they just need to get rid of international breaks for us. Come on Khaldoon, get your head together with the Sheikh, this needs sorted.

goat

hes not buying you a new telly gav, calm down

team in uruguay now? missed that

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on September 02, 2018, 20:27:55
Would they have bought us if Shiniwatra hadnt already moved us on a level? Is the part he had in the sale underplayed?

Indeed it is. Thaksin was a vital link in the chain - in that his profile and the international business circles he moved in, opened up a lot of doors across Asia and the Middle East. Whatever his other faults (Corrupt telecommunications privatisation deal? Turning a blind eye to police sanctioned murders of drug dealers?) he was, by the standards of many governments in SE Asia, one of the better politicians (and certainly no worse than some of the tossers currently running some Western countries!!) He is still (I think) the only Thai leader who managed to be democratically elected by his people twice - but fell victim to the country's notoriously conservative elite and ousted in a coup.

Yes, he tried to buy Fulham and possibly even Liverpool before us, but I always thought his interest in City was sincere (he certainly loves football), and once he realised he had been financially hamstrung by events back in Thailand - he had the decency to get out and found us a good buyer (and he made a healthy profit). I always thought Thaksin got us out of the rut we'd long dug ourselves into (to a point we had become too accepting of our lot) and got us thinking and acting like the big club we are again. Even bringing in Garry Cook helped (!) and appointing Sven-Göran Eriksson showed some intent. I know it remained all a bit dodgy until Sheikh Mansour took over, but the relatively brief Shiniwatra era gave us some hope of better things to come.