News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

v Lyon

Started by gavin, August 15, 2020, 19:12:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

The team selection and system of the first half didn’t create any chances, that’s just a fact. We normally create a hat full and miss a lot of them to be fair,  but we did nothing in the first half against a team that finished 7th in their league. Play our best attacking team today and I believe we’d have scored In the first half and that would have put a completely different complexion on the game.

I think that could be Peps last game in charge for us.

Paddy

Swiss, we weren't at the match and that is down to all in general but poor team selection (negative) and also negative on the ball, to many loose passes. As i stated in another post "Shite", no matter how you dress it...Saves us getting humiliated by Bayen...

Swiss

Quote from: KunDB on August 15, 2020, 22:08:36
No strong leadership on field.

Thats been a problem since before Kompany left. He dragged us up on our own at times.

Swiss

Quote from: Hesperus on August 15, 2020, 22:15:05

I think that could be Peps last game in charge for us.

Whilst no one is infallible, he is our most successful manager ever and I would not advocate that.

gavin

Don't get me wrong, it is not the team selection I would have made but I can see why he did it. The evidence of previous games against them and similar teams suggests we would still have struggled had we played our usual formation. But maybe not had we got an early goal. It is impossible to say now.

Hesperus

Quote from: Swiss on August 15, 2020, 22:23:31
Whilst no one is infallible, he is our most successful manager ever and I would not advocate that.

I don’t want him to go either but unless he signs a new contract I don’t see the point of keeping him for another season. I’d rather we planned for the next 5 years.

He and the club have had a poor season.

Rowley Birkin QC

A poor, but massively disrupted season. Like everyone else I'm very disappointed but If I'm honest I'd written off this season many months ago and the re-booting of the Champions League was just a pleasant diversion. I knew defensively we weren't good enough to win it.

Like Swiss and Gav I can sort of see what Pep might have been thinking, but it spectacularly didn't work and he took 60 minutes to come up with something resembling a Plan B.  Very poor coaching I thought, and undoubtedly Pep's worst game in charge.

A few pigeons came home to roost tonight. Poor squad development. Not replacing Kompany, playing (and quite frankly - wasting!) Fernandinho out of position. The predictable shafting by VAR did the rest.

Swiss

Thought the ref had a poor game overall, should have managed Cornet  better.

He seems a perfect fit for Liverpool.

goat

Quote from: Swiss on August 15, 2020, 23:18:39

He seems a perfect fit for Liverpool.

He's that big of a cnut is he?

Well that was shite, City must be the biggest club in Europe not able to throw a striker on

Swiss

his in-game salmon flopping, falley over, wafer in breeze but annoyingly decent at playing ball and an athletic/ strong defender...

Hesperus

Quote from: Swiss on August 15, 2020, 23:25:20
his in-game salmon flopping, falley over, wafer in breeze but annoyingly decent at playing ball and an athletic/ strong defender...

He was a twot for sure but he won’t care Tonight.

lee

Agree with Goat..No striker to come on is shabby really..some changes to be made for next season.

Throw the lot at Kane or the polish bloke at Bayern

Stephen Paul

on another night City would have put 5 past Lyon easily

Just think the team selection was wrong

Play makers Benardo , Silva , Mahrez and Foden all on the bench at the same time . Almost unheard off

Lekos

Quote from: Hesperus on August 15, 2020, 20:54:10
Why change the system???

We’ve barely had any attacking threat which isn’t surprising given we’re an attacker short up front. Why have we shown them so much respect and changed the way we play and formation?

We need to get our best attacking players on and play to our strengths.

Agree. Wrong tactics, wrong starting 11. Didn't play our strengths...didn't make changes quick enough. Pep didn't trust our defence but that nullified our attack.

Last 16
QF
QF
QF

Not good enough.

Neil Mcnab

We cannot defend against an OK Lyon team on the break. Little striker alternatives, distant dream of having Kun, Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko available.
Alaba and Martinez brought in might help both ends of the pitch.
I coulds see Pep going. It would be after much soul searching I have let the club down and taken them as far as I can blah blah, its me not you, anyone know the next flight to Barcelona?

goat

Ghost of Alan Ball to take over