News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

King of the Kippax

Started by Stephen Paul, August 02, 2021, 08:22:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Paul

In yesterday’s weekly Stan Collymore LP/Manu/hate City/ Mirror column, Stan rightly condemns the 1992 revamp of the Champions league which effectively was a ‘lock in’ for the wealthiest of clubs. Strange then that  the accompanying massive photo was of City’s owners and Pep. According to Stan, City went looking for owners who could blow man united, Arsenal, Liverpool out of the water, and they did just that.
Erm, I think it was the owners who came to City after being told to eff off by the likes of Everton and Newcastle. Anyway, we all know, as we were advised by Stan and all and sundry at the time, that "you can’t buy success!"

gavin

I'm going to ignore Stan. But I do think that you can't just buy success. Quite a few have tried it and failed. You need decent management to buy the right players and the knowledge how to use them. We weren't getting too far with Hughes.

goat

i thought old frank sinatra went to the arab lads when he had to sell up quick

KunDB

Quote from: goat on August 10, 2021, 22:02:39
i thought old frank sinatra went to the arab lads when he had to sell up quick

Correct, Thaksin was by my recall borrowing money from one of our previous chairmen (David Berstein I think) to pay the players wages.

We were on the verge of bankruptcy prior to the takeover.

Neil Mcnab

Thaksin had a few problems at home and needed to sell at a decent return. He started the ball rolling. For pundits nearly all publicity is good publicity, it worked.

Stephen Paul

MONDAY
It was always a duty to attend Community Shield games, and I always looked forward to a Wembley day, but Porto and my ongoing foot problems have put paid to away days for the immediate future, so it was an armchair job again for this one.
Looks like I did Leicester a dis service in It’s A Fix as they did indeed win the Charity Shield in 1971, when double winners Arsenal couldn’t take part and 2nd division Champs Leicester beat FA Cup runners up Liverpool 1-0 at Filbert Street. Leicester’s defence was depleted today and we played a few kids, but we’d looked impressive in the pre season friendlies so nothing to worry about, until kick off! Wow, we rode our luck first half, second half we dominated, were wasteful, Jack came on but it wasn’t quite Trevor Francis at Stoke (though I would have liked to see the penalty incident again). And so it came to pass - the dreaded blind back pass from Rodri (again) to Ake under pressure who gave away the pen which Kelechi scored despite a valiant effort from Zack. We should’ve kept Kelechi just for pens. Oh oh oh oh oh Iheanachio (one song Foxes fans don’t seem to have nicked from us?) So once again we were stupid and unprofessional, ban the bloody back pass Pep, it happens too often. Let’s get this one out of the way too, it pissed me off when we lost when we were shit, and it pissess me off when we lose in that manner now we’re great.
Oh for a centre forward, it’s so disappointing that Delap’s injured.
Dave

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Stephen Paul

Friday
Community Shield programme arrived from www.footy progs., very professionally packaged. Decent effort, priced at £5, with features on Mahrez, the squad,  cartoon strip of highlights from 20/21, Phil Foden, City players in the summer competitions, Robbie Brightwell and Ann Packer from Tokyo 1964, and Bendy Mendy.
Jack the rag Haynes was back in the MUEN letters page claiming that unlike the modern Manchester City, Liverpool and united didn’t buy their success from the 70’s until 2010.
He managed two letters in three days on the subject, a record for even him, and guess what? Your eds letter never even made it so here it is -
After a quiet period, following his assertion that half City's team
weren't good enough, before last season, and that Luke Shaw and Raheem Sterling shouldn't be anywhere near Gareth Southjgate's squad for the Euros, Jack Haynes is back, laughingly trying to kid us that Liverpool and United didn't buy their success in the past, picking out isolated cases of some of their signings.
As Ferguson pointed out in his "noisy neighbours, not in my lifetime, when you've money you buy willy nilly" rant, Sunderland spent big in the 50's and were relegated. Spurs' great team of the early 60's was all bought and it worked for them.
Liverpool and United creamed off all the talent from opposition clubs to achieve their success, regularly breaking transfer records.
City have signed Grealish and if Kane does come, as United have found with the likes of Pogba and Lukaku there are no guarantees that these signings will be successful.
Ironically United fans went apoplectic at City's success last season,
causing the home game with Liverpool to be postponed, and the Glazer's to come out with the statement that they will spend whatever it takes to make United great again
So who is it that's going to try to buy success Jack?.
Frankly I’ve had it with the MUEN, this is my 4th letter in a row they’ve not printed. It seems that united fans can vent their vitriol on City without response from Blues (though there was one letter printed in reply, quickly squashed by Haynes’ second letter).
New City mag out today in digital form owing to the “hugely successful” digital programme of last season. Reviewed in Bernard Dinneen’s vlog.
Brentford 1 Arsenal 0 at the mo, c’mon the Bees.
Dave

gavin

This could be a dangerous request but could you link a source if you are copying this stuff from elsewhere, cheers.

goat

maybe stevies name is really dave

Stephen Paul

Quote from: gavin on August 13, 2021, 21:38:26
This could be a dangerous request but could you link a source if you are copying this stuff from elsewhere, cheers.
Just passing on information from a City fanzine

What's the problem?

gavin

No problem really, it is just better to post a link to the site where the info comes from if you copy and paste from a site. I'm guessing the author of these is Dave Wallace from King of Kippax so if people like them then they can buy his fanzine. That is in the title anyway!

Stephen Paul

No worries

Dave Wallace has no issues

lee

I used to buy King of the Kippax and Bert Trautmann's Helmet  fanzines back in the day

Stephen Paul

Yes mate
Couldn't wait for King of the Kippax to arrive by post

Stephen Paul

SUNDAY
We set off early, stopping off at Tesco to pick up the papers, drinks and snacks. Felt a pang of nostalgia as we drove past my pitch on Ashton New Road for the past  18 years, but it was raining so the blow was softened. Bit of a hitch getting into the East car park and disabled lift but we were ensconced by 1.45PM so all was well.
Good to see the ground filing up, and renewing acquaintances, particularly Dave, who sits behind me and who I worked with in the early 80’s (but doesn’t look a day older!) who was proudly wearing the  much maligned 3rd City kit (with Grealish on the back - drawing the line at Mendy).
So considering, the lurk of Covid, and the mobile phone ticketing arrangement, I thought it was a pretty decent turnout, (rags were a few thousand down last week, anyone notice?) for a fine performance , but it would’ve been double figures if we’d had Kane up front!
It was good to be able to applaud the boys off the pitch at the end, and it was an enjoyable end to a satisfying day, and a good home debut for Jack. VAR continues to be a disaster. Not sure about our disallowed goal, Newcastle have suffered in both their games, Liverpool had a goal disallowed and the only club to benefit so far is …… Manchester united with Fernandez’s ‘offside goal’ v Leeds. I smell a rat.
We’ve had some rather snazzy KK ‘business cards’ produced, which give subscription details for KK, and once things have settled down we hope to take up our old selling positions to hand them out to our regular KK matchday buyers, in the hope we’ll increase subscriptions, though whilst my feet continue to suffer, we may need some short term help.
Dave

Stephen Paul

Sunday
After the week we’ve had we really needed a boost. Set off early again, lovely day, breezed in down the Lancs once we got past the Army’s wide load, until we got onto Ashton New Road, (gave Mickey the scarf seller a wave, telling him we’re not selling this season), but some pretty daft driving on Alan Turing Way I’m afraid, though it looked like there was an accident further down?
Statues unveiled of Vinny and David, glistening in the sunlight and looking really good and modern, miles better than those old fashioned ones at Really Old - Trafford (now they’ve added Ronaldo to the old folks home). let’s face it, we only wanted him to piss rags fans off, and that’s no way to run a football club.
So we were sat in our seats by about half eleven. Not sure I’m getting used to not selling KK at the ground before matches, but for the immediate future that’s how it is.
Youngest son was on a stag do in Newcastle, and eldest daughter and her partner were on holiday, so that was 3 down on the attendance figure. Ken who sits next to me had Covid last week, so missed that one, and I know of a few Blues who’ve deferred their season tickets because of the worry of catching it.
As for the game, Eddy was still sleepwalking until he sent a beauty through for the crucial third goal, as Arsenal fell to pieces. Wow, remember those days when they’d put 4 or 5 past us at Maine Road and we’d applaud them off the pitch as “The best team in Europe” (Kev Keegan). In the 50’s they’d not won for about ten games, came to City and Ken Barnes, not renowned for his heading ability, headed in a beauty from a corner. Unfortunately it whistled past Bert into his own net for a 1-0 Arsenal win! Sorry to hear of the passing of Johnny Williamson, tribute in KK280
Anyone know how much Forren Torres cost? Me neither, it was never mentioned on MOTD.
We’ve been criticised by a KK subscriber as we don’t give enough credit to journos and pundits who praise City, but it’s like management, you expect good management, and only notice bad management, so here goes. In the Observer today, headline is “Who needs Ronaldo”, over a pic of Ilkay Gundogan, plus an article on how Ronaldo held Juventus back, by Jon Wilson. In the manu mirror Robbie Fowler hails Pep as a genius manager, even if he doesn’t land the Champs league in his last two (or is it) years at City, but Andy Dunn still claims that rags fans rioted because of the involvement in the super league, when it was in fact because they couldn’t stand City’s success, AND it was a masterstroke by the Glazers to sign Ronaldo. Onto City’s programme now, and obviously we’re onto a winner with the sky blue, unlike those who have red themes, so it’s a superb layout. Content a bit better, but I’m most interested in attendances, City's away support, away fans at the Etihad and average attendances, which are sadly missing. I also miss the thoughts of sensible journalists on their topics of the week/season, as per the guest writers in the 50’s programmes, and how I’d love to hear the views of Martin Samuel and his ilk on the sadly departed Sunday Supplement on Sky.
Watched Liverpool and Chelsea yesterday, think that’s a daft rule to send the Chelsea player off after the on the line handball, but no comment from Klipperty, surprise, surprise. Thought Lukaku was awful.
Early start today to go for my MRI scan to see why my foot isn’t healing, but they couldn’t do it cos my foot isn’t healing. Wonder how many letters Jack Haynes will get in the MUEN this week on the Ronaldo farce? Let me know as I don’t get it any more!!!
Euro cup draw gives us the week of hell we anticipated. Chelsea, PSG and Liverpool all away.
Finally stuff is flooding in for KK280, final deadline is on Monday August 30th so a busy week ahead.
Not much to talk about this month? Looks like another like big issue to come.
Dave

gavin

Have to agree that the sending off of James was very harsh. Clear penalty as it stopped the ball going in but it didn't appear to be deliberate to me. Officials have no idea of justice.

Stephen Paul

Monday
Good win at Norwich, a few dodgy moments for both teams before we took control, maybe the scoreline flattered us but a great hat trick from Raheem, and it must have taken  a helluva whack to smash the mighty Delap, blatant penalty despite what Deano thought. Great support. Liverpool 'ran riot at Burnley' with a flukey goal to cut our lead to 9 points, with a game in hand, and they are a worry. Spurs lost again so they should be there for the taking on Saturday. KK285 is coming along very nicely, everyone's got lots to say, but now we look forward to tomorrow night and Sporting Lisbon. Here's the IAF update from KK284, now completely sold out....

25A) TUESDAY FEBRUARY 15TH CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE ROUND OF 16* SPORTING LISBON AWAY KO 8PM

'The Lions' were formed in 1906 (2 years after City's FA Cup win) as a multi sports club and share the capital with fierce rivals Benfica.
They've won 19 titles and 17 Cups. They have a decent pedigree in Europe  from the 1950's winning the Cup Winners' Cup in 1963/64 most notable for losing to united at the swamp 4-1 then winning 5-0 in Lisbon before going on to beat MTK in the Final. They were also runners up in the UEFA Final in 2005 losing to CSKA Moscow.
Their head coach is Ruben Amorim and they play in the famous green and white hoops with black shorts.

This season so far they're in 2nd spot with 54 points from 22 games and 17 wins 3 draws and 2 losses, 6 points off Porto, but 4 ahead of Benfica.
Before us - B-SAD A 4-1, Famalicao 2-0 H, Porto 2-2 A.

In the Champions League group C - Ajax 1-5 H, 2-4 A; Besiktas 4-0 H, 4-1 A; Dortmund 0-1 A, 3-1 H; finishing 2nd, to Ajax on 18 points, but level on points with Dortmund on 9 points, with a better goal difference.

Groundwise - Estadia Jose Alvalade - Capacity - 50,000 with 2,524 for City.

Our last visit was in the Champions League quarter final of season 19/20 played in August as a neutral venue single leg game which we lost 3-1 to Lyon. A painful memory as we went behind to Garnet (24), before KDB (69) equalised, but Dembele (79, 87) clinched the win after Sterling missed a sitter. Even more painful for me as I was in a hospital bed in Preston listening to updates whilst awaiting surgery!

The ground was opened in 2004 with a friendly against United which they won 3-1, prompting Fergie to sign the young Ronaldo, who was never heard of again.
The teams have met on three occasions, in friendlies, 1980/81 2-1, 1993/94 both in Portugal and 2010/11 0-2 in the USA

The teams first met competitively in the round of 16 of the Europa League in season 2011/12.
First leg was played in Lisbon on March 8th, a 1-0 City loss, crowd was 34,371 with 878 Blues.
Second leg was played on March 15th, City winning 3-2, Aguero (60,82), Balotelli (75P) Crowd was 38,021 with 640 Portuguese, some of whom disgraced themselves in the executive areas. City going out on the away goals rule, but were compensated by winning the Premier League.

Comment - They didn't pull up any trees in group C, narrowly going through on goal difference only. Doing well in the  Primeira League and it's a grudge game for our ex Benfica stars, Bernardo Silva and Ruben Dias, so it could be a feisty but winning encounter for the mighty sky blues, to take back to the Etihad.  We're fully refreshed and confident after our recent run and win at Norwich, with all the big guns coming back, so come on City.
Dave