News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Players signed since Soriano and Tixki came in

Started by Hesperus, November 18, 2014, 08:03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

Fortunes spent, bang average players in my opinion.

Have any players signed during these guys reign actually had any impact on the first team in the way that Aguero, Kompany, Toure or Zab have? I'd say the only one that looked like doing the business was Negrado.

We've probably spent upwards of 150 mil but I can't see the value. I think this transfer policy is also hindering our progression in Europe.

Rodwell, Garcia, Sinclair, Navas, Caballero - about 55 mil spent there for example.

Thoughts / opinions?

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Fernandinho was shit hot last season but for some reason can't get in front of Fernando now whos looked shakey as hell.

Rowley Birkin QC

I agree about Fernandinho. He was a great buy last year and had an important impact. He still looks pretty good on the comparatively rare occasions we get to see him - but it's hard when your manager keeps chucking you on as a 15 minute sub and keeps picking Fernando ahead of you (who has done little to impress me so far). Fernandinho looks the better player of the two to my eyes.

But Hesperus otherwise raises a good point. It's been a surprisingly uneven selection of talent brought in over the last couple of seasons when you consider the money spent (...inflated as the prices have been when City come-a-calling...). Negredo was one of the good ones and I like to think that maybe Navas will still bring something to the table, but the rest have been pretty forgettable.

Watching a few of the teams we've played in the Chumps League (and even some of our 'lesser' opponents in the Prem) I am increasingly of the opinion some of the money would have been better spent on a few workhorses. Not headless chickens mind - they need some brains, a bit of vision - but mostly blokes with a good 90 minute+ engine who can do the basic stuff consistently right, complete a straight forward pass quickly and keep us moving.

Too many of our star names and a good deal of the supposed talent brought in recently look a little flaky to me. My suspicion is they lack the mental toughness and the desire to raise their effort when the going gets tough. Take a good look at Bayern Munich for example - no shirkers in that team, from the big names down to the lesser lights.

bry the guy

You mean we need 2 or 3 more James Milners dont you yet he cant get a full game..

Leewonpen

Agree with that and, lest we forget the buying of Rodwell, Garcia and Fernando was after De Jong was allowed to go....know who I'd rather have.

Neil Mcnab

Jovetic is a class player, not really had the chance. He is injured a lot though. Like to see him get five or ten games on the spin under his belt.

Demichelis has done well, since a shaky start. If Pelle had an alternative to him at the time, he would have been dropped and probably not seen again. If Managala got the same opportunity, who knows.

Fernandinho has done good as well.

The problem is that if a signing doesnt produce straight away, they find themselves on the outside looking in. The confidence takes a hit and it becomes a vicious circle. If they do get on the pitch, they probably try too hard.

There is also the judgement of knowing when to move players on. Looking back, Yaya should have been edged out in the summer.

citoeast

I think the Holistic approach must share some blame. We play a system some players do not excel in and their form evaporates making things even worse. As for rotation we do it like a barbeque rotisserie, killing some players form with the long gaps between feeling the real heat (of competitive football) while playing others for too long periods and burning them (out).

Players need to know play well and your place on the team sheet is a formality, play poor and the guy on the bench will get his chance. We need settled partnerships at the front and back and 100% work rate in the middle. We simply do not have any of this, it is a mystery why some players play and some players get subbed.

New players also need a sustained run in the team before they get judged.

ebm1991

There has been talks about Negredo in the press as he said his agreement was to sign for Valencia end of season only if they qualify for CL but Valencia say this is  not true.

gavin

Their record isn't that great but the days of completely reckless spending were already gone when they came in. Should and could've done better mind.

City Slicker

In a nutshell Fernando in my opinion is the single biggest reason why we aren`t clicking.

It wasn`t our best on Saturday v Swansea but all of a sudden we were moving the ball much quicker. Fernando succeeds only in slowing our tempo, and then giving a sideways negative pass.

Compare that with Lampard and the difference is night and day. Watch Lampard without the ball. It`s a wonder his head doesn't unscrew itself! Always looking where team mates are and what is around him so when the ball comes he knows exactly what he is going to do.

Sounds easy but that is the difference between players that make good teams great and those that will forever be trying to adjust to a level beyond them

gavin

You don't think he can improve then? I agree though that we need all round footballers. To just be a destroyer isn't enough. That was NDJ's problem.

Swiss

It does feel like we're missing a midfield general.

Watching Bayern press the ball for most of the match was a joy to watch.

gavin

Quote from: Swiss on November 26, 2014, 13:31:56
It does feel like we're missing a midfield general.

Watching Bayern press the ball for most of the match was a joy to watch.

We did seem to want to match them at that at the start of the second half. But mostly in league games we seem to let teams play and expect to be sufficiently better than them with the ball to win the game. At times certain players seem to think they are too good to have to chase the ball.

clevblue

Quote" At times certain players seem to think they are too good to have to chase the ball."

very true

City Slicker

Very good point and it only takes one player to opt out and the others are wasting their time.

Yaya, Silva, Nasri all great players on the ball but not keen to work when we don't have it?