News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Yanks and Guns contd...

Started by reddishblue, December 30, 2014, 21:30:57

Previous topic - Next topic

bluepill

Quote from: Tori on October 06, 2015, 00:07:41
I'll remember that when I come across an angry bear in my back garden, saying shoo, shoo! is just not good enough. My country is full of dangerous wild life.

I could be wrong but Wikipedia suggests there have only been about 20 fatal bear attacks by black and brown bears since 2010. In this day and age there could probably be an alternative  method of scaring away bears. Perhaps don't leave your pickernic  basket in the back garden

Lekos

Affix doors to the entrances of your home. Works here anyway.

Swiss

Quote from: Tori on October 05, 2015, 11:05:06
Swiss, you missed the point of my question, you said that you were not sure that I should own guns, and yet you gave an over all reason and an alternative to why Americans should not have guns, then compered it with Britain.

So Why do think I should not own guns when you do not know me personally?

Well they do say yanks have no sense of humour...

It was a cheap shot at you but aimed at the general USA population.

Quote from: Tori on October 06, 2015, 00:07:41
I'll remember that when I come across an angry bear in my back garden, saying shoo, shoo! is just not good enough. My country is full of dangerous wild life.

Give it a marmalade sandwich!
I'm going to assume you're not out in your yard sunbathing with your rifle... Which means you're either in your yard without your pistolas, or in your house. So my advice would be not to shoot it but to contact the rangers who will come and tranq it and then take it back into the wilds...

Australians have dangerous animals in their back yards... Doesn't mean at first sight of a croc they shoot it!

reddishblue

nimrod

John Lennon wouldve been 75 today if some crazy yank with a $40 gun hadnt blown him away 35 years ago

guy was a complete weirdo tosser but they let him have a gun............ well why wouldnt you ?

Victoria

Swiss, how did you know I like marmalade  :) However, to go into my back yard can be dangerous, it is over 450 acres of woodland, creeks, and rocky outcrops with small waterfall and caves. ( I now live in the mountains of Western Maryland). however, what you call a back yard with grass and plants and such is only an acre. So it would make sense to carry a rifle at times when I go outside my nice garden.
Bears sometimes come up to the house and rummage through the trash, if they find some food they will keep coming back, that is when I call the park ranger who then does tranquilize the animal and let it go safely in another area that can support the bears habitat.  Also, earlier last week I heard strange noises/screams and wood knocking coming from the woods and also last weekend. I went to investigate with my boyfriend (Hubby gone) and we discovered some geeky BigFoot hunters.......lol. Yes, we were armed and legally I could have shot them for trespass, but I found it an interesting concept of hunting a none existant hairy ape so I gave them permission to hunt bigfoot on my land; but call me first. My point here is these guys could have been dangerous villains, serial killers or god knows what! so you see I do need my Henry Rifle when I go out in my back yard. In addition, earlier in the year the police found a Moonshine still on my land and questioned me bout it..........lol. I could have been arrested for conspiracy to make Moonshine, now these are dangerous people. The upshot is that on my land I have drunken tax evaders, Bigfoot, and sad bastards that have too much time on their hands, which are more dangerous than the bears.........lol.  :)

Swiss

Right... so you could have shot the big foot hunters for non-violent action... does not compute simply because they were on your land... call the police! Let them wrongfully shoot someone? and the moonshiners "dangerous people"? Why are they dangerous? Perhaps because they are armed? So if you take the guns away from people, they become less dangerous and then no one but the forces need guns... Even tazers and pepper spray is illegal in this country!
Do you deserve to die because you're walking on someone's land or grain/potato crime?

In this country it's still legal to own a shotgun.
However, did you know it is considered murder if you shoot them in the back or whilst they are running away, they have to be threatening you!
Sawn off shot guns are illegal.
Hand guns are legal, but you have to be registered at a club and keep it there.

Swiss

Just reminded me of something: some silly woman on tv about the latest scoop shootings, protesting about obama: "If the Kids all had guns, they would have been able to shoot him!"

And some guy in a political job or something said "what the kids should have done was grouped together and rushed him, yer the gunner might have killed one or two of them, but the rest would have got him!"

Possibly if you are trained... but clearly he's not thought about the psychology behind being in a very scarey situation where someone is indiscriminately killing people and your first thought is how do I get to safety: how do I survive...

nimrod

Quote from: Swiss on October 10, 2015, 09:33:45
Just reminded me of something: some silly woman on tv about the latest scoop shootings, protesting about obama: "If the Kids all had guns, they would have been able to shoot him!"

thats gotta be the dumbest thing anybody has ever said on tv

except for Gee Dubya when asked 'whats the answer to global warming ?'

he said 'more air conditioning..'

Obama and Hilary seem to be the only 2 with any sense

Victoria

Swiss, I am well aware of the Maryland gun laws, I usually joke about shooting trespassers. However, if those Bigfoot hunters were armed then they could have been a threat, therefore I could legally shoot them but common sense usually prevails, I don't want to shoot anyone or everyone that comes on my land. however, the Moonshiners are dangerous, they protect their little empire with vigor as there is a lot of money to be made; tax free. Usually when caught on other peoples land they do a deal with the land owner for shine and money, that is why the police questioned me; thought I was in on the deal. however, if the land owner says 'go' they usually do.  The problem here is other Moonshiners who encroach on there territory, look for 'Stills' and destroy them, there has been some bad encounters in the past with Moonshiners in West Virginia and the South Carolina.

Swiss

So Moonshiners only attack Moonshiners: No gun needed.

Those Bigfoot hunters are only a danger to themselves!

Trouble with common sense is 2 fold:
1) Those that do have common sense often lose it in stressful situations
2) Not everyone has it!
Allowing the above 2 types of people to have guns is dangerous.

Trespassers: No need for guns, call the police if they're a danger. You're not military, or law enforcement and you are not properly trained how to handle that situation.

Situation:
You, home alone; probably had 1 or 2 mojito's: you've been watching the news, there's a rapist that's been attacking women in the community. ... you here a loud crash bang!?!?! You're straight up, you reach for the rifle to make you feel secure as you investigate.
You notice a shadowy figure in your back garden, walking with a gun in his hand towards you.
Your mind flashes back to the newscast: The Alabama Dusk Raper is in your yard! Shaking with fear, loathing and rum, there's no way you're gonna let him violate you!Boooooom!!! Right in the kisser! Your wanton backdoor smasher has flown 15 feet backwards and slowly the twitching stops as your breathing returns to normal!

Suddenly a loud Meow comes from behind you, you spin around to see Archibald the neighbours cat! It's obviously snuck in through a bedroom window! "I bet you've knocked over my new Vase haven't you!?" you think to yourself! As you move to pick up the cat, you think, Darlene will be looking for you... You're suddenly filled with dread as you spin back around... You grab your overpowered 10,000 candle lamp and shine it in the direction of the dead body... at the lifeless 15 year old girl!
Congratulations, you've just killed an innocent girl looking for a cat. She was holding a rifle too, her dad gave it to her to protect her from the Alabama Dusk rapist too: S'ok though, she was trespassing and you were protecting your land!

Now if you both weren't allowed guns you could have made sure the house was locked, phoned the police and waited for them or the girl to knock on your door!

Dizzy

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/10/09/1429179/-Cartoon-Gun-logic
Sorry if this has already been posted.  Sums up your average Yank and guns....  :-[

Victoria

Darlene should not be in my house with a gun unannounced; therefore a legal killing with reasonable force. However, it is not that easy to call the police when one is two mlie up in the mountains and surrounded by trees. I spent a small fortune on installing satellite communication systems so I could have phone, Tv , and internet. It will take about an hour for the police to arrive, I live in a remote area.My mail box is two mile down the mountain so that should give you an idea how remote I am. As for the Bigfoot hunters, yes I agree they are a danger to themselves  :)

nimrod

So youve bought this house where if you go out in your back yard you need to take a rifle

sounds like a great lifestyle  :)

Victoria

Nimrod, I bought the land three years ago because of the scenic veiw. I also had a house built made from redwood and cedar. It was intended to be a summer retreat but because of personal events last year I decided to make this house my permanent home. Dispite it's shortfalls I like the quietness and I belive it is safer environment for Raven to grow up in. There are other people nearby and in the valley but overall it is a better community to live in at this moment in time.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Swiss

Quote from: Durk on October 11, 2015, 07:49:47
Annie Wilkes?
Ha ha, that's probably the funniest and cleverest thing I've ever seen you post :-D

Darlene wasn't in your house, she was in your 'yard'

Victoria

Same result, lawful killing, as soon as was on or in my property with gun I have the right to defend my self, and if I felt threatened I can use deadly force. However, with your senario it would be classed as a tragedy.

Swiss

Needn't have to happen if no gun laws.

goat