News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Sterling

Started by zacc, May 18, 2015, 22:38:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think he'll be a good buy for City?

Yes
4 (14.3%)
No
17 (60.7%)
Depends on the price
7 (25%)
Not yet
0 (0%)
what was the question? ;)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Rowley Birkin QC

If some of you don't like the sound of the wages Sterling might be on (and their knock on effects) then I can't help wondering what wages Bale would be on (should we get him). Surely at least as high?

So... maybe we should pull our heads in - forget about Sterling and Bale, and buy more 'sensibly' / cannily?

nimrod

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on May 20, 2015, 12:18:43
If some of you don't like the sound of the wages Sterling might be on (and their knock on effects) then I can't help wondering what wages Bale would be on (should we get him). Surely at least as high?

So... maybe we should pull our heads in - forget about Sterling and Bale, and buy more 'sensibly' / cannily?

Trouble is every time we buy a mid price player we end up with somebody not good enough/average

All our recent purchases have been of this ilk

A couple of marque signings is what we need Bale & Pogba maybe

As regards wages, yes Bale would be on huge wages but I put him miles ahead of Sterling in terms of talent, in fact I put him in the worlds top 10

Just my opinion of course

Rowley Birkin QC

With regard to the wages question I was just playing devils advocate, but I think the point stands - that if we want City to go after big name players this summer the club's wage structure is going to come under renewed (and disruptive) pressure. Doesn't matter if it's Sterling, Bale or anyone else.

Part of me agrees with Leeonepen when he says the amounts of money involved in modern, top flight football have reach ridiculous and unrealistic levels. FFP as it stands certainly isn't the answer, but sooner or later something is going to have to change for the general health of the game.

KunDB

I have faith in our club owners and executive management, enough to let them worry about the finances and wages.

As fans we are best to worry about the players and transfer targets, though hard not to be startled by some of the financial headline figures for players. Bear in mind that it is all piddling amounts compared to what our Rory earns hitting a golf ball around the world.

Bale is very good, not perfect a bit on the lazy in out Yaya style at times but would be a big step up on what we currently have. So forgetting money definite yes.

Raheem as stated ticks many boxes we need ticked; mostly young (reduce squad/first team age); talented; full of promise/potential; English; home grown; tempo; some trickery; passion. Again not perfect by any assessment and again forgetting the money side a definite second yes.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Bale achieved more in his first season at Real than Raheem can dream for his career

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Durk on May 20, 2015, 14:25:00
Bale achieved more in his first season at Real than Raheem can dream for his career

I should hope he did, considering the team / players he had around him!

The Blue Blooded Maniac

He carried spurs for a good while to earn the chance to be among such players.

Swiss

bale every time over Sterling

gavin

Bale is undoubtedly the more proven player. He was absolutely excellent in his last season at Spuds. Sterling should be cheaper even if hardly  cheap. Either would strengthen our squad at the moment. Neither would be my top priority. Sorting the defence would be and I honestly believe in attacking football too.

Swiss

I think sorting the centre mid is the top priority rather than defence.

nimrod

Quote from: Swiss on May 20, 2015, 21:36:30
Quote from: gavin on May 20, 2015, 21:11:09
Neither would be my top priority. Sorting the defence would be and I honestly believe in attacking football too.

Milner can play in both positions in the same game, (English too) maybe offer him 2 wages to stay  :D

zacc

agree especially if Yaya is off this summer

nimrod

Quote from: zacc on May 20, 2015, 22:40:16

been off for a while zacc

zacc

Quote from: nimrod on May 21, 2015, 23:34:04
Quote from: zacc on May 20, 2015, 22:40:16

been off for a while zacc

:Dwell will be literally in the summer

clevblue

Iheanacho should be another sterling really. It's midfield strength we need, ESpecially if Yaya goes

Neil Mcnab

Sterling is undoubtedly a very good player. If he kicks off to leave the filthy koppites via his arsehole of an agent, he obviously would do the same anytime he wants at his next club. Be it cakes, disrespect, playing time and the like.
While I think as a player he is a decent, the negatives outweigh this - no thanks.

Bale is on a different level, would be a great asset, no negatives around spiting the dummy either.

Stephen Paul

The English connection is nothing now a days .we can buy better from abroad .

Swiss

home grown is an issue though: we need 8 and scudamore wants to increase it to 12...

I wouldn't rate Sterling as "very good", at least not yet. Potential yes, but he needs a few seasons under his belt first

zacc

so called home grown applies to a player having been within youth for 3 years,
point made in bold not necessarily UK nationally

quote "A change in the definition of home grown player to any player, irrespective of their nationality, who has been registered with any club affiliated to The FA or Football Association of Wales (FAW) for a period of three years prior to the player’s 18th birthday (currently the definition states a home grown player has to be registered with The FA or FAW for three years before their 21st birthday)."

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/thefa/2015/mar/greg-dyke-england-commission-homegrown-players-work-permits-march-2015#gRZ6jiEHG5jQV0mp.99

Swiss

yep, we've got one in our squad... Clichy!